If you're over 60, how do you feel about being called a "senior citizen"?

1. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 8 years ago

If you're over 60, how do you feel about  being called a "senior citizen"?

It seems innocuous, but this term "senior citizen" bothers me.  Ther word "senior" is dulling and faceless and combined with "citizen" it seems sort of like fake respect.  Am I out of line, or does anyone else feel the same?  I would like to find a new phrase that will better describe us, not "retirees", either.

2. C. Whitaker profile image74
    C. Whitakerposted 8 years ago

My dad has been claiming to be a senior citizen since he was 47 in an attempt to get the senior discount at all of the restaurants and he can't wait to get the official title.  My mother on the other hand has been lying about her age since she turned 45, but who can blame her, the senior citizen title is a fake respect for people who have worked hard their whole lives, raising children and fighting in wars that made our country what it is today.

3. computersenior profile image52
    computerseniorposted 8 years ago

The word senior does not bother me but, the words "senior citizen" do. It is like a tag someone stuck on me. Considering the fact that I teach,go 4-5 miles every other day I hardly feel as though I am a "retiree". But after being in the medical profession for many years, I have accepted the fact that my body will change and there will be aches and pains that were not there 30 years ago and that I will visit the doctor more times than I did10 years ago and with that acceptance, I really do enjoy life. My husband and I can travel, we can sleep late on the weekends, and, I just spent 5 days with one of my daughters and I could not do that running to practices nor would I want to. It is much better to be happy in the place you are because you just can't change "Father Time".

Closed to reply