jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are some of the toughest challenges facing people with Cerebral Palsy.

1. albert49 profile image75
    albert49posted 8 years ago

What are some of the toughest challenges facing people with Cerebral Palsy.

What tips can you offer to others like yourself that would help them lead a more productive life style.

2. profile image0
    MzOverLooked49posted 8 years ago

Living with cerebral palsy can be diffcult but if you have a good support system you can make it.  People with cp have different challenges.  With me I can't walk, i have problem with my speech and sometimes with my saliva.  I need help dressing and bathing.  I have a motorize wheelchair.  I can't cook because i'm short so i need help with that.  With the bathroom i need help i use a bed side pottie or a bed pan.  I'm not paralyzed so i have all my feeling and senses.  Yes some of us do have sexual relationships but it will take an open minded person who don't judge or see the outside first.

People living with cp will be talk about and peek on, especially little kids.  Children can be the roughest on handicaps thats why parents need need to educate their children on different kind of people in the world.  When I go out i get stare at and pointed at and asks some dumb questions.  "Do you sleep in your wheelchair"? um, no!  We are just like eveerybody else ''Human''.  Yes we do have a few challenges but if you believe in yourself and god you over come them believe me.

3. Kimmie10 profile image70
    Kimmie10posted 8 years ago

That is a good question.  I was born with a mild case of Cerebral Palsy.  My legs aren't the strongest things on my body.  I walk different than other people, and it does get some of their attention.  Sometimes it does get annoying.  I have a harder time walking on some floors and some sidewalks... 

When I was a teenager, I had a hard time getting a guy to like me, because I couldn't do any kind of sports.  I wasn't (and still am) not a fast runner. 

During my elementary school years, kids would tease me because I couldn't run fast or climb very well.  I didn't have many friends at the time. 

Now that I am an adult, I try to live my life and do other things that doesn't involve much leg work and keep a positive lifestyle.

4. profile image0
    professional25posted 7 years ago

I think toughest challenges is proving themselves to the world and their outer appearance. However, they are some of the smartest people in the world.

1. Kimmie10 profile image70
      Kimmie10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the comment.  I like it when people think that people with CP are smart.

5. profile image0
    Moore Synergyposted 7 years ago

The most important tip  I can give any person with any disability is to be an active participant in your medical and education situations.  Do not let others do things for you that you are capable of doing for yourself, even if it is easier for the "abled" body individual to do.  Lastly, do not accept the limitations others put on you, you are a smart person, worthy of a full life.

working