jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can alcoholism later worsen to depression and even kill you?

1. Rainintheday profile image52
    Raininthedayposted 8 years ago

Can alcoholism later worsen to depression and even kill you?

My uncle might be getting layed of and he has been an alcoholic and we (meaning my familyand I)are worried that he might be killing himself.He takes medication and then drinks a beer with it.He also has what i think is Depression.

2. mordorr profile image66
    mordorrposted 8 years ago

I just lost a close friend this way, she liked a drink and it became regular. The pain from the drink used to have her in agony in the tummy area. As a person she was lovely and kind, but would not stop the drinking, it is so sad that they seem out of reach as people, the need to relax becomes a tricky habit. I hope you can steer him  away to get help, even if it is detox or a rehab clinic. Good luck friend.

3. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 8 years ago

Depression is the worst!  A combination of being depressed as well as a alcoholic can definitely lead to self destruction.  You as an individual have to want to break free from it.  If your behavior is very reckless, yes you can kill yourself

4. the clean life profile image80
    the clean lifeposted 7 years ago

From my experience and sure many other alcoholics.  Drinking alcohol does not help what so ever in curing any problems. Alcohol helps you to be even More depressed than when not drinking.
    I hope that your Uncle can find the help that he needs to become sober. Drinking alcohol never is the fix all solution to anything including loss of employment.

5. lobonorth profile image59
    lobonorthposted 6 years ago

Alcohol itself is a depressant! In addition, I am fairly certain that it interferes with a lot of medications including antidepressants.
    I notice the question was asked a long time ago and it looks as if Postpartum Depression's only activity on HupPages was to ask this question. In any event, I do hope that you found answers that were able to help your uncle, Postpartum Depression, if you do read this note. It is hard to see someone you care about or love having a difficult time of it; and it is particularly difficult if that person is depressed since it isn't easy to help. Knowing you care must mean a lot to your uncle, though.

working