jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do slim people bother themselves by going to the Gym?

1. Lady_E profile image77
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

Why do slim people bother themselves by going to the Gym?

Is it to show off to the "not so slim"?

2. akirchner profile image96
    akirchnerposted 8 years ago

No way - they just go because that's how they got there and they want (most of them anyhow) to stay the way they are! No harm in that in my humble opinion as I think most of us aren't just 'born slim' or 'in shape' - like all things in life - it takes dedication to stay fit and look good.

3. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 8 years ago

It requires work to stay slim. Yes doing the exercises at home can be done to keep the figure. But what is the point in staying slim if no one is going to notice. Just my thought.

4. ThatFranzKid profile image58
    ThatFranzKidposted 8 years ago

It's not that they're showing off. Becoming slim takes a lot of proper nutrition and exercise. Once a person becomes slim, they don't just stay that way! Most people go to the gym to either get into shape or stay in shape.

5. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 8 years ago

No, they're not trying to show off at all. It's because to stay slim they have to work for it. There are many people like one of my uncles who must constantly work to keep the weight off. If he stops for just a few days he gains it all back.

6. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I'd doubt that most slim people who go to the gym go to show off their slimness.   Many people are slim because they've been going to a gym, or at least because they pay attention to what they eat and/or burn off more calories than it would take to make them gain weight (in other words, slim people are often active, whether or not they go to a gym or not).  Inactive slim people may want to go to the gym to firm up their muscles or to increase the amount of exercise they get (because being slim doesn't always mean being fit and healthy when it comes to toned muscles or getting a healthy amount of exercise).

It's pretty much said (by experts in the medical/health field) that if there were a way to prescribe exercise the way medicine is prescribed, exercise would be THE most effective way for a person to dramatically increase her chances of remaining healthy in a number of different ways.  People who go to the gym often know that.  Some like the structure.  Some want access to the equipment.

People who live in the suburbs may find walking and biking is difficult on some roads.  People who live in the city may not feel comfortable in traffic or bad neighborhoods.  Many people don't want their exercise routine to depend on the weather, and lots of them live in apartments, where real workouts would bother whoever lives downstairs.  The list of possible reasons goes on and on.

I really think that people don't think much about their own "slimness" unless they're not slim.  People with "weight issues" in one degree or another are often always thinking about their own and other people's weight.  Slender people often just have healthy eating and exercise habits, and otherwise do their thing and don't think a lot about their own or other people's weight.  (There are, of course, slim people with eat disorders or bad body images; but healthy, normal, slim people. )  Besides, some people may be surprised to learn how insecure a lot of slender people really are about one thing or another about their appearance.  Being slender doesn't always mean being confident and proud of one's own body.

7. Melissa_King profile image57
    Melissa_Kingposted 8 years ago

Just because you're slim doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy. Going to the gym can help you build muscle or improve your cardiovascular health, or of course... stay thin! smile

working