what do you say to a father with a young adult son with MS? He's had an infusion

1. profile image43
    Susnnaposted 8 years ago

what do you say to a father with a young adult son with MS? He's had an infusion and hasn't had...

a episode

2. Jen's Solitude profile image87
    Jen's Solitudeposted 8 years ago

Susnna, I would say that being diagnosed with MS is by no means a death sentence. Many young men have MS even though it is more prevalent among females.  I would encourage his father to learn as much as he can about MS so that he doesn't feel powerless to assist his son.  I would suggest he allow his son to talk about his concerns as well as encourage him to take advantage of any relapses in his MS to accomplish some of his goals. Knowledge is empowering for the entire family. Depression is common when trying to accept the diagnosis of an incurable disease, therefore he should try to be patient and as positive as is warranted. If he  balances his positive attitude with an awareness of any symptoms that may be causing problems, his son will find his father's empathy a great aid in helping him to adjust to having MS.

working