How do I straighten my posture once and for all? It's now or humped for life.

1. susaninboise profile image53
    susaninboiseposted 8 years ago

How do I straighten my posture once and for all?  It's now or humped for life.  Help.

"Standing and sitting straight seems to be a family trait (genetic). I'm now in my 50s and it is starting to show as I walk... I mean really show and stick around. I don't want to have a hump because I didn't try to sit, walk and sleep aligned. What gadgets do you recommend, espcially for sitting on a couch where I use my laptop hunched over a coffee table? I sleep hunched over, I do believe and now I walk with belly out and my shoulders are falling . HELP! Susan in Boise Idaho"

2. backchat profile image69
    backchatposted 7 years ago

To find out what your posture is like compared to normal you might like to do this self test.

If working at a lap top is something you do regularly then following these simple guides might help reduce your overall strain to your back and neck.

Keyboard should be directly in front of you, with forearms parallel to the floor

Your computer monitor should be positioned directly in front of your normal sitting position. Top of the monitor should be about even with your forehead.

Your screen should be an arm’s length distance from your eyes.  Eyes should look slightly downward, about 15-30 degrees.

Proper Sitting
    Position chair at height such that knees are slightly lower than hip joints
    Sit feet flat on floor, not tucked under chair
    Relax shoulder and back muscles
    Rest wrists on desk
    Take regular breaks away from desk and computer by walking up and down hall, office or around parking lot