jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Filling came out of rootcanaled tooth a small metal wire is now showing.What sho

1. profile image45
    browneyedgirl09posted 7 years ago

Filling came out of rootcanaled tooth a small metal wire is now showing.What should I do?

8-10 days ago the porceline filling came out of a root canaled tooth , which i had done 4 years ago. Two days ago I was flossing my teeth, when I noticed a small metal wire coming from the tooth where the filling had been. I can't afford a dentist unless I get a loan, which means it has to be an emergency. Will I experience any pain or infection if the wire comes out of my tooth ?

2. pippap profile image87
    pippapposted 7 years ago

I'm not a dentist; but, I suspect that the wire will need to be removed professionally.  Since the tooth had a root canal performed on it, chances are there will be no pain (since the nerve has been removed); but, there could be an infection.

Check out your local university, dental schools, etc.  Many times they perform work for a nominal fee to get the experience.

Good luck!

3. browsed profile image58
    browsedposted 7 years ago

Root canalling is a process done very near to the root of a teeth and near the sensitive tissues which can cause pain and infection if left opened. So get them filled again as fast as you can . If it is left like that ot will cause severe headache and cause the teeth to be taken out. Immediately visit a doctor

4. World-Traveler profile image58
    World-Travelerposted 7 years ago

I suggest that you contact the dentist who originally did the dental work on your tooth.  If money is still a problem, contacting a dental school is a good suggestion, as mentioned below, if there is a dental school near you.  You could also contact the emergency department at a nearby clinic or hospital and get recommendations from them. 

By all means, try to keep the tooth, and the other teeth clean, gargle with a disinfectant mouthwash like Listerine or some similar product.

I too am not a dentist but the above information is the best I can offer at this time.  I hope you are not in pain.

5. profile image45
    browneyedgirl09posted 7 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for their answers to my question. I found out today that the wire is whats called a "post" that is put in after a root canal. It is beginning to come out because the filling came out and is no longer there to keep the post from coming out. I have to have the wire removed, then the canal which it was in cleaned out and then filled back in, along with a filling put back in place. It is going to cost 50.00 for the visit , 50.00 for the removal of post and canal cleaning and then 30.00 to place what is called thermafill into the canal. Then 150.00 for just a temporary filling to prevent the tooth from experiencing any infection or further decay. He said I could hold off treatment for awhile without experiencing any or only minimal pain but the tooth will most definetly , in time , become infected. Causing severe pain. So I'm looking at a good 280.00 - 300.00 . But my luck has began to turn around. I e-mailed a dentist in my city and they are willing to remove the post, clean the canal and place a sealent over the canal hole, and also place a temporary filling for only 100.00 . He is doing this because the tooth shows when I smile and he doesn't want me to have it pulled because it would afftect the appearance of my smile. So I am very thankful for good hearted people. Thank God there are a few left in this world.
    Once again , I would like to thank you all for your answers and for taking the time to send your them. I wish you all the best of luck in all that you do.

Thank You , Everyone !