jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How many people actually bother to floss their teeth?

1. cosmetic dentists profile image59
    cosmetic dentistsposted 7 years ago

How many people actually bother to floss their teeth?

2. frequentflyer profile image56
    frequentflyerposted 7 years ago

A lot of people do, but also a lot of people don't. I think its one of those things people in a hurry don't bother to do.

3. bluefire profile image60
    bluefireposted 7 years ago

I know a lot of people who don't sad

Personally I try, because those dentist bills could be very expensive! A minute a day might prevent a huge one.

4. cosmetic dentists profile image59
    cosmetic dentistsposted 7 years ago

The funny thing is that most people know they should do it, but are just too darn lazy to bother. I include myself in this category. You're definitely right about the dentistry bill. By not taking care of your teeth properly you are not only going to pay the price in terms of bad oral health, but also by having a large amount of money unceremoniously removed from your wallet.

5. lissuz profile image56
    lissuzposted 7 years ago

I am a dental hygienist and JUST created my first hub.  I hope that you guys might check it out.  The answer to that question is debatable however I would "bet the house" that it is around 25% or LESS!  The other, "bigger" question to me is: How many people who DO floss their teeth regularly do it Correctly?"  Therein lies the real stumper. ;-)

6. cyclrmom profile image75
    cyclrmomposted 7 years ago

As a dental hygienist, I think the average person flosses their teeth only when something is stuck in there, like corn on the cob, steak meat or a popcorn kernel. Then maybe the night before they visit the dentist or their hygienist they floss.  The ones who do floss regularly have made a conscious commitment to do so; or had a bad experience like tons of cavities or gum disease that woke them up and made them decide to floss.  I would say the majority of people don't even know how to hold floss correctly which is part of the problem in using it. 
    And the average person also thinks flossing is painful. If only done sporadically, yes it can hurt,  due to improper technique and/or swollen gums not used to being flossed.
    I recommend any type of floss I can if I think that person will use it.  Any flossing is better than no flossing.

7. profile image44
    DentalGreenBayposted 7 years ago

A very few person flosses their teeth regularly.

Most of the people do not understand the importance of flossing.
    They think only brushing can solve the problem of hygiene.

Some realizes the need to floss when some stuffs of food stuck between teeth.
    But all should realize that to maintain a good oral health flossing is indispensable.

Reasons why proper flossing are essential:

-to prevent tooth decay

-to prevent periodontal disease

-to prevent halitosis

-to prevent staining.

working