jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is biking for 30 minutes the same as running for 30 minutes? I was given a summe

1. profile image49
    winchesposted 7 years ago

Is biking for 30 minutes the same as running for 30 minutes?
    I was given a summer workout...

schedule for soccer next fall and i was wondering if instead of running 30-40 minutes a day, if I could substitute that for a bike ride? How long should I ride the bike to get the same results as running for 30 minutes?

2. BRIAN SLATER profile image86
    BRIAN SLATERposted 7 years ago

hi winches, I would say that running gives you the better work out, but if you vary your cycing up hill and down for say 50 minutes -1 hour i would say cycling is likely to be better for you. What ever you try vary your pace as this maximises your stamina and improves your cardiovascular and breathing. Good luck

3. profile image0
    woolman60posted 7 years ago

Bicycling - stationary or outdoors is a great cardio exercises, depending on resistance and speed can burn 250 to 500 calories in 30 minutes.
    Running - Running is an excellent cardio exercises because all you need is a pair of quality running shoes. Running burns serious calories. A 145 LB person can easily burn 300 calories in 30 minutes.

4. profile image0
    Susan Lashposted 7 years ago

The answer is in the intensity.  If you have a comparable heart rate biking that you have running, then the efforts are comparable.

working