jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is it adequate for beginners to run for only 30 minutes a day?

1. jeantkl profile image57
    jeantklposted 7 years ago

Is it adequate for beginners to run for only 30 minutes a day?

2. linky2010 profile image59
    linky2010posted 7 years ago

Based on my experience, if you are not an experienced runner, 30 minutes a day (depending on your speed) is more than enough. For me, it took a practice of at least 3 weeks before I could run for 30 minutes non-stop; and when I say running, you really run smile.

3. nicregi profile image79
    nicregiposted 7 years ago

Don't over do it but 30 minutes a day is good for a start.

Once you get in-tune, then you can start going for longer duration.

4. fucsia profile image61
    fucsiaposted 7 years ago

30 minutes are so many! If you run 30 minutes you are not a begginer ( the first time I ran I was tired after only 10 minutes!!)

5. profile image51
    oxygen25posted 7 years ago

it depends on how efficient you are,like me,i just spend 10 mins a day on my page.

6. Sullen91 profile image78
    Sullen91posted 7 years ago

Adequate for what? Is it adequate to be sedentary? But millions of people don't exercise, so are you saying they are being inadequate?

30 minutes is enough for general exercise, but if the goal is shedding weight, it's not enough. If the goal is to train for long distance marathons, it is not enough. If the goal is to build stamina and endurance, it's not enough. If the goal is to run 30 minutes, it's perfectly fine to run 30 minutes.

7. visionandfocus profile image72
    visionandfocusposted 6 years ago

If you're running non-stop for 30 minutes every day, you're doing really well. Took me a good long while before I could run non-stop for half an hour. Now you just need to set a goal for yourself.
    You probably will not have any trouble doing a 5K, so time yourself and see how long it takes for you to finish that distance, then set a reasonable goal for yourself to reach in the next couple of months.
    Say you can finish 5K in 25 mins or whatever, aim to do the same distance in 24 min in one month, maybe 23 min in two months from now. This way, you'll get your speed up. Then you can look at increasing your distance to 10K if you feel like it. Good luck and happy running!