jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Has anyone had the operation for carpal tunnel syndrome? How long does it take

1. Hummingbird5356 profile image78
    Hummingbird5356posted 7 years ago

Has anyone had the operation for carpal tunnel syndrome?  How long does it take to recover and...

what is your experience? I had cortisone injections and this made the problem worse.

2. Sweetsusieg profile image85
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

I have had carpel tunnel syndrome for 18 years, in both hands.  Mine was a sudden onset due to childbirth, pulling the handles too hard during pushing.  One Dr. prescribed braces to be worn at night.  One Dr. asked me if I could still hold a cup of coffee, when I said 'yes', he said come back when you can't.

I've managed to go all these years without surgery, at times yes, it has been quite painful.  I have fear of surgeries, maybe unrealistic, but they are there.  I suppose it comes from hearing horror stories of people for whom the surgery didn't work, or mangled the nerves.  So I did NOT seek out a Dr. who would perform the surgery.

One thing I did do for myself that I have not regretted.  A friend practices 'Holistic' medicine and therapeutic massage, she massaged my hands, for what seemed like an eternity the first time.  It was much better for several weeks, when I mentioned some pain again, she massaged yet again, this time not quite as long. 

She had told me the swelling and lumps were fairly severe in my hands, but that her massage should help.  It truly did.  I haven't seen her for a few years now, when my hands start swelling again, I try to 'massage' it down.  Yes, it is painful, yes my fingers go numb while doing this, but in the end it is worth it.  18 years and I am still surgery free.  I can type, knit, crochet and sew with these hands!! 

I know this isn't an answer to the question you asked, but sometimes I think some Dr.s rush too soon into surgery, in the end causing more harm than good.  Look in your area, see if you can find someone who is practicing Holistic medicine, give it a whirl!  I wish you luck!

3. Hummingbird5356 profile image78
    Hummingbird5356posted 7 years ago

Have you had pain all this time?  It is the pain that I find most debilitating.

4. woundedheart profile image56
    woundedheartposted 7 years ago

I had Carpal tunnel syndrome for many years. The pain bothered me most at night. I would wake up and my whole arm from elbow down to fingertips would be just throbbing and my hands swollen. My husband had to use tin snips to cut my wedding bands off my finger! During the day, I was always "shaking" my hand to try to relieve the numbness/tingling. I couldn't do things like clean windows, sew, peel potatoes, etc, because it would "activate" the CTS. Finally had surgery last fall and I haven't had a problem since, it is absolutely wonderful. It doesn't take long to "recover", however I was off work for 5 weeks. But then again my work involved a lot of lifting, cleaning, typing, etc. At home, I took the brace off after a couple weeks, but I do have a piece of advice. DO NOT HAVE BOTH HANDS DONE AT SAME TIME! I had the carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand and trigger finger surgery on my left, yes at same time! I did not have a pleasant time of it afterwards. Without going into great detail I will say I couldnt go to the bathroom by myself! You should get the pic now, lol. I couldnt put makeup on, had a hrad time in shower, couldnt even brush my teeth properly, so do ONE hand at a time. Good luck, you will feel much better after!

working