What is usually done to help pain of carpal tunnel syndrome in hands and finger?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

What is usually done to help pain of carpal tunnel syndrome in hands and finger? Is this always bad.

Please elaborate as to your experience and friends pain management!

2. vocalcoach profile image95
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

I suffered from CTD years ago.  The first thing the doctor did was to put my hand and wrist in a brace.  Although this helped some, because I used my hands as a professional pianist and earned my living as such, I needed a more permanent solution.

My pain went from my hand, up my arm and into the neck area. When I was given the option to have surgery, I grabbed it.  The surgery was an in-patient procedure.  It involved going in to the palm of my right hand.  Just a few stitches were needed and when the hand healed sufficiently, physical therapy followed.

I'm very glad to have had this surgery.  Have had absolutely no pain at all.

You may simply need to wear a brace for a while along with a little physical therapy.  The sooner you see a Doctor, the better.  It's so common these days with the computer and all.  I hope this has helped you.  Feel free to ask me any questions.

1. whonunuwho profile image52
      whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto...had the same procedures and well worth it. whonu

3. ChristynaJohnson profile image60
    ChristynaJohnsonposted 11 years ago

That would depend on the degree of the Carpal Tunnel.  First step would be a wrist brace, with advise on getting ergonomically correct wrist guards for the computer, also same for the mouse.  Limiting the amount of time performing the duties that cause the CTS.

Last resort would be surgery to help alieve the constriction of the carpals and allow for better mobility and range of motion,(function) of the wrist affected by it. Followed by therapy to rework and strengthen the muscles and tendons.

4. Etherealenigma profile image70
    Etherealenigmaposted 11 years ago

My experience is that I am a pain relief, therapeutic massage therapist. I don't simply do relaxation massage. That is fluff and puff, and does nothing for the client who has muscle issues. I actually do a full muscle release, and unwind the muscles. I have worked on and released hip problems, knee problems, back problems and neck & shoulder pain as well, including frozen shoulder. I have even released alleged arthritis problems, and neuropathy in the fingers after a client was told they would never regain feeling in those fingers.

As far as carpal tunnel is concerned, a doctor is going to send you to surgery, because all they know to do is either cut you, or drug you. Their end goal is to eliminate your symptoms, but they don't know the cause. So they will cut the wrist in an attempt to open up the tunnel. Totally unnecessary.

There are trigger points in the muscles all along the arms that need to be released. If this is done, the problem goes away and surgery is unnecessary. I've seen people who had the surgery, and they come to me for a massage afterwards, telling me about the success of the surgery. However, the trigger points that caused the problem, and the muscle tension/lock down in their arms are never addressed by surgeons, because they can't even identify it, nor do they know how to address and release it. Not all massage therapists know this either, so you may end up spinning your wheels in the mud for a bit until you locate one that is knowledgeable enough to address it.

After the muscles are released, you will also need to adjust your habits, and start stretching as well, in order to keep the muscles released. You may need some support for the wrists if you are a frequent pc user, because the wrist needs to remain straight as you type.

Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very informative, scared to type but had to see your response and am going to try to get a brace I think...You know enough to do a HUB on this subject. Thank you for going into detail about this painful problem...feels like a knife thru my right hand

2. Etherealenigma profile image70
      Etherealenigmaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to soak your wrist in ice & water. Do not use heat because heat will add to the inflamation already in there. Keep your hand in the ice water as long as you can & then pull it out and let it warm back up on its own. Repeat several ti

5. artist101 profile image60
    artist101posted 11 years ago

i never suffered this, but I have read that B6 is suppose to help with nerve pain. Might be worth a try, its relatively inexpensive.http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/The-Benefits-of-the-B-Vitamins-For-More-Than-Just-Stress Hope this helps

Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

going to take my mcentrum ty ty it hurts first timr in 7 yts it has been like this....ty ty

2. artist101 profile image60
      artist101posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do take tumeric 250-500mg every 6 hours for arthitic pain, that may help you as well. It honestly works as well or better than Aleve, with out the side effects. Sometimes it does give me gas, but Id rather have that then pain.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)