Who's idea do you think it was for the Health Care Insurance Mandate? Democrat?

1. N.E. Wright profile image82
    N.E. Wrightposted 7 years ago

Who's idea do you think it was for the Health Care Insurance Mandate?  Democrat? or Republican?

2. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Good Day N.E. Wright

If I had to guess, I would say the health insurance mandate was a Democrat idea. As you know, its not the party of Franklin Roosevelt anymore, and hasn't been for a very long time. Since 1980, when political "common sense" got redefined on the right -- the beginning of an era that many of us refer to the neoliberal turn -- Democrats have been on the defensive.

They began by desperately distancing themselves from the dreaded L-word ("liberal"; mainstream Dems hate that word, they uneasily substitute the word 'progressive' for that). Since 1980, they have always been trying to show how business-friendly and pro-market they were; they were desperate to show that they were the "tax and spend" "bleeding heart liberals" of old.

Its like this on a host of issues, including crime and "national security" issues, and the like. In trying to show how "pragmatic" they are, they often overdo it, in my opinion and actually out-Republican the Republicans....

Anyway, I think it was a Democrat idea -- the healthcare mandate. If there had been a Republican in the White House, perhaps we wouldn't have had healthcare "reform" at all; but always weary of being seen as classic "tax and spend" liberals, the Democratic-controlled congress didn't even bring up a public option; instead we got a measure that even the Republicans probably wouldn't have proposed, the "mandate," which once again, criminalizes poverty.

3. Anne Pettit profile image72
    Anne Pettitposted 7 years ago

Democrat.  Republicans are not concerned about health coverage for all.  If all have insurance, and those who can pay for it, pay for it, the cost will go down for all.