What is the best way to stop my pet hamster eating through his cage, even if it'

1. profile image48
    Swaza13posted 7 years ago

What is the best way to stop my pet hamster eating through his cage, even if it's metal!

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Generally hamsters and other small pets chew persistently at their cages when they're bored...they need a lot of stimulation in their little tiny worlds, which means that they need a form of exercise (wheels are the most popular), things to chew on such as wooden blocks, and hamsters thrive with having tunnels to explore and make their own. In addition, they need to be taken out and handled regularly, allowed to run around within a hamster ball for a change of scenery, and exposed to different parts of the house to give them an outlet for their energy and curiosity.

3. profile image0
    sarahsherlockposted 7 years ago

I don't honestly think you can stop a hamster from chewing it's cage. I completely agree that the hamster will need stimulation, a wheel, toys and regular handling to ensure that it is tame. However, hamsters are natural escape artists, much of their stimulation will come from trying to escape the cage! That's part of the joy of owning a hamster.

You can buy cages that don't have metal bars and are mainly made of clear and coloured plastic. If you want a quiet life, this might be the way to go.

working