jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is Manic Depression the same thing as bipolar disorder

1. profile image44
    cpettijoposted 7 years ago

Is Manic Depression the same thing as bipolar disorder

2. jdomingo profile image61
    jdomingoposted 7 years ago

Yes they are the same thing it is also referred to as bipolar effective disorder if memory serves me right.

3. mandyf profile image65
    mandyfposted 7 years ago

yes but more popular term is bipolar.It is a mood disorder that can cause extreme swings in mood—from manic highs to depressive lows. To be diagnosed with bipolar disorder you must have experienced a high period (mania or hypomania). Bipolar mania is described as an "extreme high," or feeling unusually great.Extreme changes in energy, activity, sleep, and behavior go along with these changes in mood. It is possible for someone with bipolar disorder to experience a long-lasting period of unstable moods rather than discrete episodes of depression or mania.

A person may be having an episode of bipolar disorder if he or she has a number of manic or depressive symptoms for most of the day, nearly every day, for at least one or two weeks. Sometimes symptoms are so severe that the person cannot function normally at work, school, or home.

4. walknk profile image61
    walknkposted 7 years ago

yes, i agree with mandyf. according to the dsm iv (which tells how disorders are diagnosed) the "new" name for it is bipolar
    "The essential feature of Bipolar I Disorder is a clinical course that is characterized by the occurrence of one or more Manic Episodes...or Mixed Episodes...  Often individuals have also had one or more Major Depressive Episodes"  http://www.mental-health-today.com/bp/bi1.htm

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

yes they are the same disoder manic deppresive illness was the early day term for bipolar bipolar is the new term for manic depreshion

6. iskra1916 profile image59
    iskra1916posted 7 years ago

The short answer is, Yes!

Manic Depression is a more dated term for Bi-Polar Disorder.

7. The Mad Aunt profile image55
    The Mad Auntposted 6 years ago

The labels are given to people who display certain clusters of symptoms.  If their moods go from being depressed to being quite high, then this is the label. However, these symptoms can cross over to other diagnoses, such as schizophrenic and depressive. 
    Personally, I think we would be better working with the person to uncover their hidden feelings and with talking therapies, give them a chance at sorting out their anxieties.  Labelling a person as 'manic depressive' simply offers them a life of heavy medication and hospital stays.