How's come when I use a Neti Pot I am just as stuffed as I was before.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago

How's come when I use a Neti Pot I am just as stuffed as I was before.

I have used it a few ties and still I am as stuffed as I was before I used it.  It did drain, some of it but for the most part was still in my sinuses.  This time it didn't come out my nose but my mouth and I was almost standing on my head so it wouldn't. I am addicted to the nasal sprays.  I just want to be able to breath and get some sleep.  What else can I do?

2. akirchner profile image96
    akirchnerposted 7 years ago

Sometimes it takes a really long time because you might actually have an infection.  It's worth asking your doc or looking on line to see if you have a bacterial infection.

You can also take OTC (over the counter) loratidine which is the generic for Claritin once per day and it may make that better.

But sometimes it is 'tincture of time' that helps most of all.  We all think we are doing the best thing and we still aren't getting better but just takes a LOT of time to get over these things.  Also drinking tons of water - the rule is keep drinking fluids until the mucus is clear (gross but true).

I speak from personal experience having had this for multiple weeks now!  Get well soon!!!

3. rwelton profile image70
    rweltonposted 7 years ago

I had a bit of trouble getting used to mine.  I kept thinking about how silly I looked more than what I needed to do to make it work.  Use heavy salted water, room to body temperature.  Just tilt your head- not the whole body.  Good Luck.

Closed to reply