jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Poison Ivy, how do you get rid of it?

1. noturningback profile image77
    noturningbackposted 7 years ago

Poison Ivy, how do you get rid of it?

What types of remedies have you used to get rid of Poison Ivy fast?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4346389_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

It seems to be vulnerable to vinegar.

Found this online:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Poison-Ivy-Plants

3. onegoodwoman profile image75
    onegoodwomanposted 7 years ago

I am not recommending this, only sharing with you how my Grandmother handled it.  The cure can be as bad as the ailment!

mix 1/4 cup of bleach with 3/4 cup of water and apply several times a day to the blisters or lesions.

other home remedies call for calamine lotion, I find this ineffective

bathing in ground oatmeal or epsom salts

some women recommend rubbing the lesions or blisters with the inside of a bannana peel, though I have not tried that one.

I am a big fan of Lysol---the type in the BROWN bottle only!  Not the diluted stuff for light cleaning.......it must be full strength in the brown bottle.......dip a q-tip or cotton ball and apply it to the various skin rashes.  It can burn, be prepared.  But it kills many infections including staph......in fact, it killed a rash for me that 3 scripts of an antibiotic could not.  The skin was actually peeling off of  my face.  I started researching the medications on the internet, and discoverd this antibiotic was designed to kill staph.......it was not working, it helped, but when the pills were gone, the rash returned.  A light bulb went off in my head......Lysol kills staph, I was desperate and bought a bottle, poured it onto a cotton ball and applied it to my face.  It BURNED, I wanted to cry, 3 applications and the rash was gone!

As it turns out, I am a carrier of staph, about three years later, the rash came back, again on my face......I reached for the Lysol and nipped it in the bud.

4. Lwelch profile image92
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

Technu poison ivy soap is my favorite.  It is best when used after exposure but before the rash, but you can use it after the rash starts as well to remove residual ivy oils.

working