May I please have the link to the article you suggested I read?

1. Wendi M profile image78
    Wendi Mposted 7 years ago

May I please have the link to the article you suggested I read?

In reference to the Obamacare Forum I had created...your comment was deleted before I had a chance to copy the link.

Thank you, Wendi

2. Jillian Barclay profile image81
    Jillian Barclayposted 7 years ago

I am so sorry-just saw your question. The link is :
    I cut and paste one of the paragraphs. They came up with a formula based on SGR, which sucks!

In 1997, when Congress refined the formula by which the annual change in Medicare physician fees was determined, it decided that total physician payments per beneficiary should grow no faster than the economy as a whole, as measured by the gross domestic product (GDP). Policymakers were concerned about increases in the volume of services that beneficiaries received; since total spending equals price times volume, under an aggregate cap, if volume grew more quickly, fees would grow more slowly or be reduced.1 The expectation that total physician spending could be kept to such a level was probably unrealistic, since few countries have ever attained that target, and an increasing proportion of health care services were migrating from inpatient hospitals to the lower-cost settings of outpatient facilities and physicians’ offices, which many thought would improve outcomes and save money. But the economy was growing robustly, and the SGR’s framers were pursuing a broader agenda of trying to drive the entire Medicare system away from fee for service toward private, capitated plans.

But there are tons of articles on the law. Just google 'history of cutting medicare payments to doctors'--there is a great editorial in the Palm Beach Post that explains it better,but I can't find it now--- but Congress used to postpone the payment decreases almost every year- this year they decided not to-
    they also do the same with hospitals.
    Again, sorry this is so late...