Google Indexing Question - Please help me understand this?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 10 years ago

Following the advice of a fellow hubber I did a search query on myself on Google. The first several hubs which came up were normal and then I found one of my hubs that led to a "Secret Search Engine" labs by another hubber. This hub has lost a tremendous amount of traffic and now it looks like it has been outranked by someone else who is linked to my hub. Could anyone please explain this? Here is a screen shot.

I would like to understand this and appreciate any help here.
    Thank you.
    Peg
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8482141_f248.jpg

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I cannot explain about someone else has linked to your linked to your Hub but Secret Search Engine Labs seems to be a new search engine who's goal is to be the best search engine.

PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, The Examiner 1. I have a different screen shot that shows the name of another hubber who has in some way linked his name to my article. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually. I appreciate your response and your input on the Secretsearchenginelabs site. I had never heard of them.
        Peg

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your article may be showing at the bottom of another Hub under 'Discover More Hubs.'  This in no way harms you or your Hub.

About the plagiarism on toptraveldestinationdeals.com:
          The website is hosted in Turkey. The notice you send is not a DMCA, but a notice under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, to which Turkey is a signatory. The notice should be sent to the hosting company:
          abuse@alastyr.com

Then, report the content theft to Google AdSense on this form:
          https://support.google.com/adsense/cont … eport?rd=1

When your content has been removed, have the cache removed from Google and Bing.

Thank you, Writer Fox, for this additional information. This is quite helpful to me and I appreciate your instructions. It is truly disappointing to find out that our hard work is being taken and used inappropriately without permission. Again, thanks for the link and for the insight.
            Peg

2. PegCole17 profile image93

Thank you so very much, Mr Fox. I have followed your helpful instructions and given notice to the hosting company about this "possible" violation. I'll continue to follow up and appreciate all the specific direction you've provided on this.
            Once they contact me about removal, I'm not sure how to have the cache removed from Google and Bing, but I'll try to learn more about this also. Again, 1000 thanks to you. ♥
            Peg

2. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

You might need to post a DMCA regarding this page

hxxp://www.toptraveldestinationdeals.com/my-former-life-as-a-flight-attendant/

It should help traffic to your own page.

Thank you Will. When I went to that location it brought up a link to my article. I'm not sure I know what to say on the DMCA. Can you clarify? Sorry, I'm new at the DMCA filing business and would like to learn.
      Update:
      Will, I just played around with the Google search and saw the sites where my article has been used in their adverts. I've filed a DMCA on those multiple sites and I do thank you for finding that. I've searched several times and never came up with it. How did you find them? I need to be checking all my hubs.
      Peg

Done! Thanks, Will Apse. Wow. Your profile is impressive. A million views? Wow.
      cool

3. PegCole17 profile image93

Thanks so much, WillApse, for letting me know about this infringement. I did contact the host yesterday and was floored to get immediate response this morning in my email, with an apology from the site owner, sent via the host. Thank you, thank you. This explains so much about my lost traffic!
      xxxooo
      Peg

3. luciano63 profile image64
    luciano63posted 10 years ago

What is important : if people take your hub and at the end give you a link back than it is OK! Because they are writing with the link back about the original author (you).  The problem is when people just copy your article paste it on their blog or site and DO NOT write about the original author with the link back....in this case it is a stolen article and in this case you can signal the stolen article to Google...in general after 3 days they erase the stolen article link to protect your original link.

It is NOT OK to have duplicates of your articles posted all over the Web: NOT NOT NOT NEVER OK!

THANK YOU, Mr. Fox. smile

Not without my permission, please! A link at the end of copied work? Why then, would they visit my original work if they have already read it and given the traffic to the copy cat? Seriously?

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Providing a backlink does NOT make it okay to violate someone's copywrite!

Right on, Ms. Relache. Absolutely!

4. luciano63 profile image64

Maybe I expressed myself not correctly: if someone finds your artile appropriate for a subject he/her is writing about and adds a part of your article with a linkback to you...this is OK. Example : it happens with some of my hubs and I get traffic from them.people know that it is my article and they come visit me to discover more..so the linking is appropriate. When I write about a tutorial and show someone else tutorial I ask my readers to go visit the author of that tutorial mentioning name + website with a link....  It happen to me to finde some of my blog posts with my own drawings stolen and published on a polish blog but without linkback to my blog...in that case I wrote to Google and all stolen posts have been erased!

It depends on what you mean by "parts of your article." If someone wants to post your Summary (Description Tag) and give a link, that's fine.  If someone wants to quote one sentence and give a link, that's fine too.  Anything more than that is plagiarism without permission from the copyright holder. And if you keep using the works of others without permission, you can loose your hosting services, AdSense and other advertising accounts and have your name posted all over the ChillingEffects website. You can't take what doesn't belong to you.  If you steal $5 from the bank or $5,000, you'll be arrested.

1. luciano63 profile image64
        luciano63posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear Writer Fox I totally agree with you! However I do not consider myself a star writer (this is not even my mother language)...if I am known a bit about my posts and hubs on Car design education is also thanks to all followers and those that take sometimes a part of my words in their blogs...they give me a link back and I get lots more traffic on my blog than alone....now it is 6 years I have my blog and more people refer me in their blogs or FB pages and more traffic I get...I tollerate as long as they put a linkback to me....whennthey don't I do all I can to erase theyr posts thanks to Google action...untill today it works ok with me...on my blog is written that all posts without a linkback to my blog will be removed with a legal action. thanks for commenting.

If you don't mind, then that's cool.  That's giving permission to use your work.  What we are really dealing with here is people who are using our work without permission, which hurts our search rankings, income, and takes up our time finding the unauthorized versions of our work and getting it taken down.

So true, Writer Fox. I've spent the entire day filing DMCA notices and searching for sites where my work has been taken without my permission. Unfortunately, there are lots of people who fail to do their own work.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lucian, unless I have misunderstood you when you wrote: "if someone finds your artile appropriate for a subject he/her is writing about and adds a part of your article with a linkback to you...this is OK. " , It is NOT OK for someone to take any part of your article, even to quote a small part, without your written consent. This is called plagiarism and "stolen intellectual property". Once again:  It is never ok for someone to use any part of your article without written permission from you -- even if they supply a link back to your original work. When someone does that, uses your article or even a part of it without written permission, they can be sued for up to $25K plus any residual income they received by using your work.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

PS: writing something on your blog that it is ok to use part of your work with a link back is NOT written permission. Written permission is when someone sends you an email or letter asking for your written permission, IOW a hand-written permission with all necessary info, your signature and date is what is needed to protect the person who wants to use your work.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If someone quotes PART of a tutorial, then provides a link to the original so the reader can go and read the rest, that's fine - in fact it's a really, really good thing.

If someone quotes a WHOLE tutorial, then provides a link, then it's a bad thing - because the reader has no need to follow that link.

5. luciano63 profile image64

So if I publish an Youtube video of someone tutorial and linkback to his/her website is BAD! Come on!  Anyway OK.

6. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Remove the cache only AFTER the plagiarized content has been removed.

To remove the cache of the plagiarized content on Google:

http://support.google.com/bin/static.py … page=ts.cs
    (click inside the circle which says 'Web Search', then scroll down the page and click inside the circle which says 'A piece of content I am concerned about has already been removed by the webmaster but still appears among the search results.' Then, click on the link 'this tool.' You'll then be asked to sign in and then to enter the page URL and, if the page is still live, a word from the outdated cache page that you want to remove.

To remove the cache of your Hubs on Bing/Yahoo:
    http://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/bing … l-cb6c294d

It can take 24 – 48 hours for the removal process.

Thank you, Mr. Fox.
      I will do this, as you have explained it so well.
      smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)