What are some tricks to satisfy a sweet tooth & maintain a healthy smile?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image82
    Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago

What are some tricks to satisfy a sweet tooth & maintain a healthy smile?

2. Jangaplanet profile image77
    Jangaplanetposted 7 years ago

Xylitol, a sweetener, actually makes teeth healthier. It can be hard to find as a tabletop sweetener, but it’s readily available as an ingredient in gum and candies, though.
    Stevia, an intensely sweet herb, is a tasty option that is available in powder packets or liquid drops and helps your teeth also.  After eating any type of sweet  what i do is just go brush my teeth. That is basically the only  real way to maintain a healthy smile.

3. allpurposeguru profile image79
    allpurposeguruposted 7 years ago

The number one requirement for a healthy smile is good and regular brushing and flossing, but you knew that.

I used to work in a dental school library, and I came across some interesting research. The germs that cause tooth decay thrive in an acidic environment. Therefore the order in which you eat foods has an effect on the pH factor in your mouth.

Eating sweets  or drinking fruit juices makes your mouth more acidic. Even rinsing with water won't help much, because water in neutral. Drinking milk, or eating cheese (cheddar at least) or peanuts changes your oral chemistry from acidic to basic, and the germs don't like that. So follow up your sweets with something like that.

I had actually seen something about that in one of my books before I started working there. So of course, I looked up the citation. I still have the book and can still probably find the citation. Of course, I left that job in 1983 and have no idea what the current state of research is. My guess is that more foods have been added to the list of those that protect your teeth from sweets.

working