jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What truthfully does it take to achieve and maintain a healthy weight without su

1. Create With Love profile image57
    Create With Loveposted 6 years ago

What truthfully does it take to achieve and maintain a healthy weight without surgery or diet pills?

Has anyone previously obese lost lots of weight and actually kept it off without resorting to pills or bariatric surgery? If so, how? Lots of people who have lost weight in my area are just getting surgery or taking stimulants. I want the truth, what really works?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

The truth is there is no easy way out.  You have to be persistent and dedicated for life.  You MUST change the way you eat and begin to give your body the proper foods in the right portions and you have to exercise regularly.  Counting calories and weighing portions accurately is essential, at least for the first year until you get a real handle on what a portion size actually is and how many calories you are actually consuming. 

SparkPeople and CalorieCount are both excellent websites with free tools and resources.  You have to reeducate yourself and learn to deal with ALL of the causes of overeating.  If its emotional eating, not knowing proper nutrition etc. or a combination of many things.  Mostly you have to accept and love yourself enough to make yourself a priority and do it. 

Been there done that to the tune of almost 60 pounds and kept it off until I had my last son.  Now I am back up 20 because I let things slip and it gradually crept back up so I am back on the wagon now with exercise and proper dieting/counting etc.

People have to realize there is NO easy way out.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

A common sense, healthy, well balanced diet with a normal caloric input that is less than the caloric expenditure - exercise.

4. Adamowen profile image80
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

Measuring calories in vs calories out. Make sure you hit your macro's each day (protein, carbohydrate, fat) and intake enough micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals) amount of meals per day is irrelevant, timing of meals is irrelevant (research yourself on PubMed if you don't believe.

Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, being in a calorie deficit is the cause of weight loss. Exercise is a whole different ball game (it is very important).

If you want any more information you can email me at adamowen-@hotmail.co.uk or or on here. I'll be happy to help. IF you're wondering I study sport and exercise science and train at national level for powerlifting and strength training.