I already asked my question/

1. profile image47
    Appletteposted 7 years ago

I already asked my question/

I have already quit .. have so for 11  months but I have side effects that annoy me and I was wondering if anyone else had the same ones.  For example ... I don't have any smoking ashtrays hanging around but I still smell the smoke from a cig or ashtray ..and food does not taste the same.

2. LeisureLife profile image72
    LeisureLifeposted 7 years ago

It's all in your head. As I light up a cigarette. wink

3. T.Y._Hudson profile image59
    T.Y._Hudsonposted 7 years ago

I wouldn't call these side effects at all. Smoke can bake itself into anything. I used to detail cars for a living. We would purchase auction cars and fix them up. Some of these cars hadn't be driven in over a year, and anytime you got into a car that was owned by a heavy smoker, you knew it! Even after cleaning it, we couldn't ever get the smell out completely.
    An old girlfriend tried to sell some used books. The place she was trying to sell them to, would not accept them because they smelled like smoke. The lady told her that once smoke smell gets into books, it can never be removed. So there is a good possibility that you really are smelling it, because it's still there.
    Your best bet is to have everything cleaned. Shampoo the rugs and furniture, wash the walls and ceiling. If you take a white rag and a little general purpose cleaner to one of your walls, in a room that you regularly smoked in, I'll bet any money that the rag will be covered in a yellowish/brownish color, after just one wipe.
    As for the taste of foods:
    It is said that smoking kills your taste buds, or at least paralyzes them temporarily. Adding to that, is any slight regular congestion that you nose may have had when you smoked. Something like 90% of taste is in your sense of smell. So if you quit, I could easily see how your taste buds could go back to normal, and of coarse things will taste different after that.