Can you Explain how Heart Burn works?

1. Curious Bystander profile image57
    Curious Bystanderposted 6 years ago

Can you Explain how Heart Burn works?

Recently I had a little accident. When I was on my way out from our building. I was blind sided and was ran over by a sprinting track and field varsity in our University.

Well it hurt a lot. But it triggered my heart burn. For weeks it stayed there. The pain was becoming a nuisance.

Till Now I still don't know how it works and I don't know how to make it stop .

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

From what I understand of it, it is the stomach acid coming up into the base of the esophagus causing the burning sensation.  It should be treated because over long term the acid can damage that area causing problems.

For short term relief, a glass of water can wash the acid out--but it doesn't last.  An acid reducer is probably the best thing and then modifying the diet to keep the acid causing food down.

I've never heard of an accident causing heartburn--you might want to have a face-to-face with your doctor and find out what is going on.

3. capncrunch profile image74
    capncrunchposted 6 years ago

Have you changed your diet since that incident?  If not were you experiencing heart burn before?  I agree with duffsmom, have a physician check you.  You may have some internal injury.

Heartburn medication is one of the top selling over the counter medicines.  Heartburn itself is very misunderstood, though.  Foods take much of the blame for heartburn.  But it is more in the way in which foods are consumed. 

Everyone seems to know that oil and water don't mix but will try to eat meals with a mixture of who knows what, and expect the poor stomach to handle it.