jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Can drinking water cause or help heartburn?

1. J.S.Matthew profile image83
    J.S.Matthewposted 6 years ago

Can drinking water cause or help heartburn?

What effects does water have if you frequently experience heartburn? Can it help or does it hurt?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I read where if one has heartburn and no antacids, a glass of cool water can wash the stomach acid out of and away from the esophagus for a temporary form of relief.

I don't think water could cause it because it would be unlikely that water could increase the stomach acid that cause the reflux-hearburn effect.  You need to neutralize the acid.

3. m0rd0r profile image73
    m0rd0rposted 6 years ago

Cool water will calm the burning and will dissolve part of the acid that's building inside your stomach.

I found also very helpful to drink cooled herbal spearmint tea.

If you don't want refluxes, eat plenty of savory on top of your food. Savory helps absorb the food in the stomach and you will get less frequent heartburns.

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
      Diane Woodsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you I looked this ? up just to find help TY YY

4. hazelwood4 profile image78
    hazelwood4posted 6 years ago

I read a book one time on this subject, and here is the title, Your Bodies Many Cries For Water" by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. In this book it is suggested that heartburn may be a sign of dehydration. If we drink more more water, this should help in the long run with GERD. I hope this helps!

5. raciniwa profile image73
    raciniwaposted 6 years ago

Water is the universal solvent, it eliminates toxins, wash out bacteria and of course turns acid into base...

6. colpolbear profile image97
    colpolbearposted 6 years ago

I'm a runner and if I don't drink water, I'll sometimes get heartburn (I know it's not a stitch.)