jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are some good tips for dealing with cat allergies?

1. Alyssa Nichol profile image96
    Alyssa Nicholposted 6 years ago

What are some good tips for dealing with cat allergies?

2. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 6 years ago

you can bathe your cat once a week to remove dander. or take a newer non-sedating antihistamine. by all means, keep the cat out of the bedroom.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I need another cat, it would keep my sister out of my tiny home!

4. Jlbowden profile image93
    Jlbowdenposted 6 years ago

We have four cats, two of them usually stay indoors. The remaining two, we like to keep outdoors. If you are allergic to your cats and they are constantly indoors. First of all,keep them in the basement or a separate room, particularly when your cats start shedding. In addition keep them brushed regularly when they begin to shed. Also a good air filtration unit which can be purchased at a home depot for example, cuts down the amount of cat dander floating around in the air. The placement of a good quality furnace filter, depending on the heating and cooling system in your home will also help. Make sure you purchase a filter that removes animal dander and pollen for example. And if you haven't already,you may want to consult an allergist and get evaluated to see if you are highly allergic to cats. If you are and want to keep your pet cats indoors, may have to resort to monthly allergy shots. Hope this advice helps.

Jlbowden

5. Naomi Jayne profile image60
    Naomi Jayneposted 6 years ago

Hello, you could increase your supplements of Vitamin C and Zinc, all supplements that would increase your immune system!

So that you can "combat the cat" and anything else that may pass you by!

Good Luck

6. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

In jest, I use Cat-Stop. I have several in my garden, although they are for the stink - LOL.  Seriously, I read at Dr. Hull's website washing your face in a light salt solution helps with sleeping as long as the pillows, etc are free of cat hairs. So, keeping the cats out of the sleeping area or no snoozing on the couch - LOL. I love cats, the mobile home park is full of wanderers, but I love wild birds too. We have an agreement now - LOL. Good luck!

7. Alyssa Nichol profile image96
    Alyssa Nicholposted 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the tips! About 6 months ago, I actually started developing an allergy to our cat.  He is so lovable and I don't want to have to get rid of him.  Claritin and Zyrtec are no longer working for me.  I have done a few google searches and I am still not doing so well with the allergy.  I just wanted to see if anyone had any good advice.  Hopefully, the temperature here in Ohio will warm up and I can open some windows for relief.  Thanks again everyone! I will definitely be giving some of these hints a try!

working