jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is "mental illness"? is it when you are sick?

1. P3NlS_SHlT profile image54
    P3NlS_SHlTposted 6 years ago

What is "mental illness"? is it when you are sick?

2. windresistant profile image57
    windresistantposted 6 years ago

For this... we turn to webster!  "men·tal ill·ness
    any disease of the mind; the psychological state of someone who has emotional or behavioral problems serious enough to require psychiatric intervention"

3. lambservant profile image95
    lambservantposted 6 years ago

I don't have a medical term as I am not a mental health professional. But as ne who suffers from mental illness and has done extensive research and writing on the subject I can say that what I believe mental illness is a disorder of the mind, of which there are many kinds, many due to chemical imbalances or damage to a brain. Mentall illness manifestests by disordered thinking, behaving, and expression. Some mental illness is not organic in cause but may result from trauma or childhood family problems.

4. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

to me mental illness is when your state of mind is not in a healthy place you dont have to be bipolar or deppressed ect to be mentaly ill you can be mentaly unhealthy without having a mental disoder thats just my opinoin

5. Morgan Anthony profile image69
    Morgan Anthonyposted 2 years ago

"Mental illness" is just a label, nothing else. I determine if I am sick or not. The way I see it, it's just the way I am. I accept myself with whatever Mind I have, and improve it when I can.