My real life friend just died from cancer and I'm feeling sad and depressed what

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Tamila Roberts profile image37
    Tamila Robertsposted 13 years ago

My real life friend just died from cancer and I'm feeling sad and depressed what should I do?

What should I do to ease heart from the painful feeling? He was in intensive care at the hospital recently. Can't believe it, last time I saw him was 2 days ago and he looked fine. The doctors prolonged his life for 10 year's with cancer medications. but, in the end the long-term side effect of his prostate cancer meds destroyed his kidneys and he died sad

I'm feeling really bad and it brings tear to my eyes. He was a good soul and caring man. He was enjoying retirement and his pension he had finally obtained about a year ago after a lifetime of work. Life can be so cruel sometimes.

2. kafsoa profile image63
    kafsoaposted 13 years ago

I'm really sorry to know you're suffering that much. Just think it the other way, he left this world where he had pain and struggling. I'm sure this is the best for him, you must believe that. I know what you're suffering right now, I had this before when I lost my grandmother, I thought I won't be able to continue and I had too much pain in my heart too. I kept praying whenever I have this feeling. Whatever was your religion, do the prayers and ask god to help you, no body can help you in those cases but allah. Just put your hand on your heart and keep praying, this will bring comfort to your heart. God bless you.

3. simonpeter35 profile image60
    simonpeter35posted 13 years ago

Go some where that you have enjoyed most e.g: to the beach or to the countryside.

There is a certain pain in our life that only time can healed.

4. christiansister profile image60
    christiansisterposted 13 years ago

When my mother passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at the age of 54 I was stricken with sadness.

But, what helped me the most was going through all my pictures and remembering all the crazy things in our life good and bad.

I laughed and cried and talked about my feelings aloud even though I was alone in the room. Plus I never really feel she is totally gone. She is always in my mind and therefore a part of my reality.

1. Kathryn Shattler profile image61
      Kathryn Shattlerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tamila, We all grieve in different ways. Try to get in touch with the grief process that will allow you to heal, not damage your heart and soul. If your depression doesn't life after a few months, seek grief counseling and support groups.

5. WriterDJ profile image60
    WriterDJposted 13 years ago

Ways that many people choose to eliminate the depression that are:

1. Listening to music (49 percent)
       2. Roads (44 percent)
       3. Reading (41 percent)
       4. Watching movies (36 percent)
       5. Hanging out with friends or family (36 percent)
       6. Playing video games or browsing the internet (33 percent)
       7. Nap (32 percent)
       8. Pray (32 percent)
       9. Eating (28 percent)
      10. Spending time hobby activities (27 percent)
      11. Go to the religious (19 percent)
      12. Shopping (15 percent)
      13. Smoking (14 percent)
      14. Drinking alcohol (14 percent)
      15. Sports (10 percent)
      16. Go to the spa or massage place (10 percent)
      17. Meditation or yoga (7 percent)
      18. Visiting expert mental...

So which one do you prefer?

6. amazingcollec profile image60
    amazingcollecposted 12 years ago

My mom passed away 6 years ago from cancer. Time, time, and more time. Try to surround yourself with positive influences and sit by the water. Water is calming and peaceful. I feel for you because the process is hard.

7. profile image0
    lifesbetterposted 12 years ago

My mother-in-law battled breast cancer for a number of years and passed away last September. It is very difficult to experience and it is natural you are feeling sad and depressed. Overtime the sadness will pass and you will think of this person with fond memories. Memories are special because they can never be taken away. Try not to focus on the sadness, but on the pleasures you both shared in life and how blessed you were to have that time you both shared.  This person certainly would want you to enjoy life for him, not feel bad that he passed away. Try joining a support group a senior citizens group, volunteer work, or invite others over for a special event. I realize it is difficult and it is always too soon for ones we care for to leave us.

8. JON EWALL profile image61
    JON EWALLposted 12 years ago

Tamila Roberts
    IT IS NATURAL TO FEEL SADNESSf of losing someone you love or charish.Cancer can be a very painful death sometimes lasting a long time.It hurts to see and feel for a loved one, the pain and suffering.
    The Lord has decided to take our loved one, surely to a place of no more suffering.Keeping that in mind,cherish all the memories and good times that one had while the loved one was here on earth.
    We were born here on earth that one day we would leave this earth for a new beginning, rejoicing in the kingdom of God.

9. iviskei profile image70
    iviskeiposted 12 years ago

You never really get over death. You just get used to the fact that the person is gone. The best thing to do is to live happy. Even though you're sad that your friend is gone you're life is still continuing.

10. landscapeartist profile image62
    landscapeartistposted 11 years ago

Tamila, I am so sorry for your loss.  Life can be so cruel.  Remember him and those memories will keep him alive in your heart. 
    My husband and I have been separated for 4 years now and just today I found out that my brother-in-law has prostate cancer.  Life just isn't fair. We are here for you when you need us.  We may only be linked to you through Hubpages but when you need to talk or type, we will listen.

11. vrbmft profile image74
    vrbmftposted 8 years ago

Words are so very very powerful.  Words create the reality for which they stand.  If you say life is cruel, life IS cruel, and you will experience life as cruel, unfair, and painful, and you will put yourself into a victim stance in relationship to life.  I would suggest, that just for "fun" you say, "I often don't understand life."  Or, "When someone I love dies, I feel really really sad."
    When we lose someone, in death or in any other circumstance, our bodies call us to grieve.  One of the ways we grieve is to cry.  And I allow myself to cry for as long as I need to cry.  If you breathe when you cry, crying will bring relief.  The problem is most of us hold our breath when we feel the first surge of tears, and then crying becomes an unnecessary war of the wills. 
    By crying, we honor the importance of our relationship.  Tears will soothe the pain of the loss.  Check out google "What are tears good for."  There are some interesting articles about the chemical make up of tears. 
    I also believe that those who pass on are still with us.  So talk to your friend.  Ask him to send you a sign that he is still with you and I guarantee you, he will.
    Whatever you do, do not take medication.  BUT, get plenty of rest, eat well, and talk to your friends.  Share your grief with them.  Do not drink and take any mind altering anything.  Let safe people hold you and comfort you.
    It is also a good time to look at your own passing which is also a guarantee.  Once we get over the fear of dying, we can live in a way that we have never lived before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)