jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How effective is exercise on memory?

1. NathanielZhu profile image72
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

How effective is exercise on memory?

I know the obvious, that exercising improves oxygen to the brain and that it increases the number of mitochondria, but if I wanted more oxygen, all I have to do is breath more. As for mitochondria, it deals more with muscles than with the brain.

2. laneanders profile image59
    laneandersposted 6 years ago

On a basic level exercise increases neurogenesis (creation of neurons).  Stress has a directly adverse affect on neurogenesis halting or slowing the production of new neurons. 

There is much more to it, but on a fundamental level exercise both promotes neurogenesis as well as limits the effects of stress upon depressing neurogenesis.

3. Curiad profile image77
    Curiadposted 6 years ago

There is a definite connection between muscle and the brain.  It is called the "The Neuromuscular Junction". The brain uses acetylcholine as the primary chemical neurotransmitter for memory.

When you exercise your muscles cause the brain to create new connections and there by help to improve memory and to build new  connections with neurons.

The "Mind/Body" connection has long been known by martial artists (Such as me) and spiritualists, and is now being studied extensively in the scientific arena.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise, can enhance many physical and emotional functions of the human body and increase overall health and well being. The central nervous system is affected by aerobic exercise, which can increase cognitive function and fight the dimentias and mood disorders as well as slow the aging process. read more

5. Tamila Roberts profile image34
    Tamila Robertsposted 6 years ago

Exercising is really great for memory. In fact lack of it could be potentially dangerous. It's best to consult your physician before starting any rash or too difficult exercise program.