jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you feel about changing jobs, going back to school and relocating with a

1. jencooper profile image60
    jencooperposted 6 years ago

How do you feel about changing jobs, going back to school and relocating with a young family?

How do you feel about changing jobs, possibly going back to school and relocating in your 30's with young children?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

That is a lot for one to do all at the same time. I wish you all the best with this and hope that it is not too stressful for you.

3. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

I couldn't speak to going back to school or not.  But relocating with young children... when they're still young is a GREAT time to relocate!

It's much harder on them when they're older (speaking from someone who moved long-distance at age 6 - easy; and again during sophomore year of high school - harder). Not that you *shouldn't* move when they're older, either... just that it's harder... in my case, I think it actually helped me by making me stronger.

What I'm saying is, don't worry about the relocation angle, it'll be fine, esp if you go in with a positive attitude like it will be an adventure. I also think the moving helped me a lot in understanding that we don't have to spend our lives in the same city we were born in or grew up in.  With that attitude, a child grows up feeling like they can do anything in their future - they're not limited to a specific place!

Sorry for the super-long answer on just one aspect of your question... but this was all I felt qualified/able to help with.  Ultimately it comes down to the whole big picture of what's best for you and your family. I'm keen to hear what others have to say.

4. jencooper profile image60
    jencooperposted 6 years ago

@Just ask Susan- it is super stressful.
    @Giselle Maine-  I love what you said about understanding that we don't have to spend our lives in the same city we were born in.  I want my kids to feel like they can do anything, even though we might not feel that way about ourselves.

Thanks Ladies!

5. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I think young families need to seize their opportunities and do whatever is best for the family.  All of these possibilities can be challenging, but it's only for a certain time period.  How much more challenging is it to stay in your present living conditions/lifestyle if it's not presenting you and your family with what you need and desire?  Whatever you decide, make a plan and have reasonable goals that you can achieve together!  Best to you.

working