Is there an age where crazy hair becomes unacceptable?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Is there an age where crazy hair becomes unacceptable?

I'm considering dying my hair pink, but there's this 31 year old mom voice in the back of my head that says "You're a grown up! No!" So, curious, if there aren't job restrictions, is there an age when going with crazy hairstyles is deemed inappropriate?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9090873_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

There are always going to be those who find certain choices we make unacceptable.  For me, I wouldn't do it, but I live in a small town where everyone likes to gossip and have enough issues keeping eyes off me and minding their own business.  However, if pink is something you love and you want to express yourself with it - more power to you. 

I have a tattoo, would love to get another one and I'm 40.  People in my area disapprove - but so what? Not their body.  I can cover up a tattoo though - pink hair not so much smile.  Be ready for negative reactions by some and probably immensely positive reactions by others - In short, do what makes you happy! Pink hair certainly isn't hurting anyone lol.

peeplesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, and now you're making me think a tattoo would be more fun. Well I guess I'll stick to Kool-Aid hair for now, it's cheaper than a tattoo! If the stares bother me too much I guess  I can dye it back!

3. Junior90 profile image60
    Junior90posted 4 years ago

Whateva makes u feel good do it, dnt listen to others especially now days ppl gossip bout hw dey dress, look, walk & body language. Well if u dress as ur favourite character frm a movie do it, forget bout the others, dey dnt hav wat u got, rather than doin wat everyone is doin, im sayin if u wear clothing dat makes u feel comfortable den do it. Crazy hair like dat moves me lol something different tho be teasing me B-) Hey go crazy, bt dnt go overboard.
    The pic anime right?!...

Anime, yes. Thanks!

2. Junior90 profile image60
      Junior90posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I like Naruto Shippuden

4. savvydating profile image96
    savvydatingposted 4 years ago

You're still very young, so pink hair is pretty much acceptable. The only thing to keep in mind is that bright pink hair is distracting. Consequently, when you talk to people they're going to be focused on your hair because hot pink is sort of in-your-face.
    Personally, I think that blush highlights are really, really pretty and can enhance a woman's atractiveness. But with a full head of bright hair, that's all anyone sees. At any rate, if you feel strongly about making a change, it doesn't matter if you're a mom. It's perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think I am going to go with Kool Aid red instead. It might be slightly more acceptable by the masses than pink! Just something fun and different! Thanks

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Life is a personal journey!
    Nevertheless it takes courage not to care what others may think. Being a "non-conformist" requires the ability of one to ignore the stares and opinions of others. Most people conform because they don't want to "stand out".  In fact the underlying meaning of the word "normal" is whatever (the vast majority of people) do or have in common.
    If someone is easily offended by having people stare at them, make unflattering comments, or judge them for their appearance they are probably better off trying to "fit in" rather than "stand out".
    Onlookers are often taken aback when a non-conformist person gets "angry" or acts rude because people are staring at them. They feel this person should have (realistically expected) this reaction.
    As beautiful as it is to talk and think in terms of how the world (ought to be) human beings are naturally judgmental of other human beings. For instance the image of the woman you used with this question would not get hired (most) corporate jobs in America no matter how smart and talented she was!
    Unless one is in the entertainment or arts related industry they're not likely to applauded for being too "individualistic". :-)

Very true! But currently I'm only in the "Mom industry" and my kids think it would be cool. They're still young enough not to be embarrassed by mom! So I'm going to go ahead and do it!

6. profile image0
    temptor94posted 4 years ago

There's no age limit to crazy hairstyle smile It all depends on how comfortable you feel and how well you can pull it off. If you are confident and it makes you happy, don't worry about what others might think or say. There are lot of people out there who look for chances to criticize, mainly to cover up their own inadequacies, and we don't need to pay heed to them. As long as your job allows it, there's no problem getting your hair done the way you want. At times, if you want to cover your hair, you can always consider a scarf or a bandana smile

Definitely going to do it just because I want to be silly with the kids! A nice temporary change from the norm! I'll have to invest in a hat!

7. bravewarrior profile image92
    bravewarriorposted 4 years ago

Why would you want to die your hair pink? When I see people with rainbow colored hair my first thought is they're looking for attention.

It was my oldest sons idea actually. I told him no at first, but then thought to myself what would it hurt.  I guess just like people dye their hair brown or blonde.

2. bravewarrior profile image92
      bravewarriorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

But those are normal hair colors. People don't stare at you when you die your hair a color that humans are naturally gifted with. One day my son and I were out for breakfast and an older couple came in. They both had pink hair and looked ridiculous!

8. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

I don't know what happened to my answer because it wouldn't submit, so I'll try again.
    Peeples, under most circumstances I would say "go for it if it makes you happy", but I just got finished answering your question about going back to college. If you are going back to college, I would advise against it. I know that professors are not supposed to judge their students, but the pink hair could cause you to come across to some of them as immature. While it should not, it could affect how they feel about you and in an indirect way, affect your grades. Education is expensive.

If you want to play around with pink hair, you can buy sprays that go on over your natural color and shampoo out. I would try a spray before I did anything permanent to my hair. You might find that the color is unflattering to your skin tone.

Want to know a secret? Back when I was college age (the first go-around) I had my hair hot pink, purple, and blue at different times, but it was always a rinse that shampooed out. Never green, though.

Temp might be a better option. I may hate it. My son (who requested it) may suddenly be embarrassed by a mom with pink hair. The school may treat me different. Good points

9. poppyr profile image94
    poppyrposted 4 years ago

I've seen plenty of older people who dye their hair, have piercings, wear unusual clothes... it's a personal choice.  I even saw an old granny with purple hair once!  It's up to you.  Are you wondering if it's unnacceptable to yourself or to others, or are you worried about how it'll look at work etc?

Sadly, I'm more worried about people judging my parenting abilities because of it. I couldn't care less what people think of me in general, but when it comes to how people see me as a mom, I seem to be a bit more sensitive.

10. Sky321 profile image73
    Sky321posted 4 years ago

I guess it depends on if your style goes with it. If you wear conservative type clothing then it wouldn't match and it would just look stupid, but if you have more of a hip type of lifestyle and clothing I think it will be OK.  That's just my opinion. I've seen even older people pull it off.  I remember an art teacher I had and she suited it because of her personality and the way she dressed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)