Do you do yoga to warm-up for sports?

1. Farmer Brown profile image67
    Farmer Brownposted 6 years ago

Do you do yoga to warm-up for sports?

I am sitting here sore from attempting to water ski yesterday.  Although I have added yoga to my exercise routine, I haven't used it as a deliberate warm-up for sports.  Have you used yoga before say - playing tennis, basketball, water skiing, running, cross training...and do people look at you funny when you do it?

2. Sean Evans profile image84
    Sean Evansposted 6 years ago

There is a ton of debates and research regarding the effects of stretching most are now saying that it really is not as effective as people once thought.  How ever active recovery has shown promise.  So since yoga is stretching and active.  I'd say it is a good way to go.  What you don't want to do is just s it around waiting for it to get better.   However work at your own limit and see what works for you.  I myself use cold water bath

3. Lenore Robinson profile image60
    Lenore Robinsonposted 6 years ago

I enjoy yoga but can't use it as a warm up.  For me yoga is strength building but with a calming effect, which I like. But I don't like calm with sports so I don't mix the two.  With running I'll do a few quick stretches but rely on the first mile to "get out the kinks."  Ball sports- practice warm ups. Skiing- I jump right into it.  What ever I do I always ice down.  Ice is a miraculous! smile

working