Could exercise slow hair growth, if protein intake is too low?

1. SummerSurf profile image60
    SummerSurfposted 6 years ago

Could exercise slow hair growth, if protein intake is too low?

Ok, so yes this might sound like a random question...but I'm curious.  I've found that my hair is hardly growing since I started regularly working out a year ago.  I'm wondering could my body be using protein to build muscles and as a result, if I'm not getting enough protein in my diet, my hair isn't getting enough to grow.

2. profile image0
    lavender3957posted 6 years ago

That is a good question. I have heard that lifting heavy weights does cause the hair to lose the ability to grow because it makes your hormones to become unbalanced in your body which causes the testerones to become more intensive and that has been linked to hair loss. I also heard that strength training can alos upset the balance of hormones to lose its will to promote hair growth. It could be you are exercising to much and should bring it down to cardio workouts with light strength training. I hope this helps.

3. tyler_richmond profile image53
    tyler_richmondposted 6 years ago

Exercise has never had any negative effects unless you take it to far. I guess, just as anything, it's possible. Your hair is a type of dead skin cells so it shouldn't be affected by protein levels lowering. Take some vitamin D pills, but not to many because vitamin D isn't like vitamin C whereas with C you can take as much as your heart desires and you will just pee it out, instead D is stored in your skin. But i'm not a doctor but you can always ask your doctor and he/she should know. Hope this helps