jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

My hair is falling out like crazy! What do I do? Home remedies please!

1. The Gift of Pen profile image60
    The Gift of Penposted 6 years ago

My hair is falling out like crazy! What do I do? Home remedies please!

i'm only 19! (female)

2. Monisajda profile image75
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

This may indicate a low functioning thyroid, anemia and other medical conditions. You need to run some tests to make sure it is not related to some hormonal imbalance. I also recall I lost tons of hair during my pregnancies.

A good natural remedy is to use an egg yolk instead of shampoo and rinse with vinegar.

3. renegadetory profile image98
    renegadetoryposted 6 years ago

Yes, I agree with Monisajda, see your doctor, it could be something causing this that requires attention. 

Aside from that, stress can cause it, pregnancy (hormones) and strangely enough, if you do not get your hair cut/trimmed often.  Sound weird? This was actually my problem, I didn't have a lot of money so getting a hair cut was not at the top of my list.  I asked a salon owner that's been in the hair business for 30 years, he said it was because I was going too long between hair cuts.

Apparently, you should not go longer than 6 weeks without a trim, 8 at the absolute most.  You don't need to have much taken off, 1/8th of an inch if you want. 

He also recommended getting a good brush that would stimulate my scalp, causing the blood to circulate near my scalp's surface and brush 100 strokes a day, which stimulates hair growth (according to him).

I can't scientifically verify if any of what he said is true, but I can tell you that I have been diligent about getting my hair trimmed regularly now and my hair has stopped falling out like crazy.

Hope this info helps :-)

4. ktrapp profile image96
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

Definitely get a thyroid test. Hair falling out was one of the symptoms I had for my hypothyroidism. Any doctor can do the simple blood test for it called TSH.

5. HealthGuru1248 profile image75
    HealthGuru1248posted 6 years ago

I agree, you should definitely see a doctor for this. It can be a wide variety of things but it's good to rule out the more serious conditions, like endocrine dysfunction.  It could be as simple as a nutrient deficiency.  You can try using rosemary infused shampoo and maybe taking some Biotin which helps with hair, skin and nail growth.  Talk to a nutritionist first to make sure it won't interfere with any medications you might be taking. Also, think back to if you changed your diet, shampoos or even if you moved.  Sometimes your body reacts negatively to water in different areas.

I hope it works out for you!