jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How can self-forgiveness be achieved?

1. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image81
    Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 6 years ago

How can self-forgiveness be achieved?

Overcoming a tragedy for which you feel responsible, or at least, involved is a difficult task, and if self-forgiveness is tagged to the difficulty, how would you try to achieve it?

2. moneycop profile image78
    moneycopposted 6 years ago

self forgiveness could be easily achieved by shedding your tears.
    if u shed your tears in front of God and with no demands...just asking for relief and self forgiveness...U will be OK after u shed tears for few minutes..followed by more time

3. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image61
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 6 years ago

I suggest asking God for forgiveness and the persons you offended/hurt (if possible) and then release yourself from the guilt. Without self-forgiveness, guilt will follow you everywhere even when others have forgiven you.

4. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 6 years ago

I been trying for years for self-forgiveness but still feel guilty for things i have said and done. I pray every night to god to help me find the strength to let go off this self hatred towards myself, but awake still feeling the same. I can't cry easily so that won't help me at all... Im a lost cause lol. I guess some people are different and may learn to self forgive. Wish you all the luck in the world. x

5. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

Tough question. Some say forgive, forget, forgo I'm not sure. If goes on saying if you can't forget you have only overlooked it. I do not believe in the penance process for receiving forgiveness. But, I believe confession is a first step.

However, I do 'accept' confession by proxy when it involves another individual. I mean this in the sense my dad and mom have passed. I experienced amnesia when 24. Sometimes I have recollections of terrible acts on my part in my eyes. How do I confess to them.

So, I write it down, meditate on it, sometimes that is a few days or longer and sometimes not long at all. I ask within my belief system for forgiveness from the higher power or God. Then I burn it solemnly in the bar-b-q pit. Does it always give me psychological relief - no. But, it sure gets the ball rolling for me toward accepting forgiveness has having occurred - singed, sealed and delivered.

6. profile image51
    michelegoldsteinposted 6 years ago

We are only human. We all make mistakes. If we learn from these mistakes then the lesson was successful. If others can benefit from our learning, then it's more successful. If a helping-career path is sought following a "mistake," then you are now doing the best work possible.
    You forgive yourself for your health and your future. Guilt is a wasted emotion. You can make up for your past by using your future in service to others, and by teaching with your example not to make the same mistake.
    Best wishes.

working