jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If someone’s parent committed suicide, is he/she more likely to follow suit?

1. eclecticme profile image83
    eclecticmeposted 6 years ago

If someone’s parent committed suicide, is he/she more likely to follow suit?

2. profile image0
    Tanmoy Acharyaposted 6 years ago

I believe otherwise. Life's hard lessons make one more selfish, more thick-skinned, more critical before making a decision.

3. MonetteforJack profile image72
    MonetteforJackposted 6 years ago

If the suicide is caused by mental illness, there is a strong possibility because some mental disorders are hereditary.  Another possibility of following suit are due to circumstances and inabilty to handle traumas and other emotional disturbances.

4. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

Well that could really go either way.

From one aspect of it they have been witness to the hurt and damage the suicide of a parent causes. So if they are parents themselves they would most likely never want to put their own children through the same trauma.

On the other if mental illness is in fact hereditary, I would say that the probability might be higher.

I don’t think that actually answered your question. Sorry. I guess I don’t know.

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image57
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

If someone close to you-regardless of family member or friend-commits suicide  and you were ever considering suicide, you will be more likely.  It doesn't have to have anything to do with genetics in that sense. Certainly clinical mental illness can be inherited.