What do you think of the expensive cancer drug, Avastin?

1. frogyfish profile image79
    frogyfishposted 6 years ago

What do you think of the expensive cancer drug, Avastin?

Considering that an insurance company in California recently announced they would no longer pay for the very expensive cancer drug, Avastin, because it was not beneficial, what is your opinion of Avastin?  Actually, information I have been previously told is that Avastin generally only extends the life of a cancer patient about two months.  Does this seem reasonable when weighing the cost?

2. Bretsuki profile image79
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

I have had a couple of years experience with Avastin. I have not had cancer, the drug in my case has been used to treat my blindness, caused by a central retinal vein occlusion.

The Avastin has enabled me to keep my job, it requires an injection into my eye every month, but that discomfort is by far outweighed by the benefit of even limited vision.

Drugs such as this can help people, life is precious and if it gives one second of life to people who are very sick, who are insurance companies to say it is not worth the cost?

3. frogyfish profile image79
    frogyfishposted 6 years ago

Bretsuki, that is a marvelous answer, so positive for you.   I had only in mind about Avastin regarding cancer treatment.
    I am happy that you have such valuable response to your treatment!  Thank you for sharing this unknown information!

Closed to reply

working