jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is there a way of getting rid of Head Lice without the use of chemicals?

1. shamani67 profile image61
    shamani67posted 6 years ago

Is there a way of getting rid of Head Lice without the use of chemicals?

Both of my girls have very long hair, and sometimes get lice from school. I hate having to use chemical based products, so if anyone has an alternative, I would love to hear.

2. fordie profile image75
    fordieposted 6 years ago

I bought a very fine comb from a pharmacy once in case our boys got lice ehere in China. Haven't needed it but it is supposed to take the adults and eggs

3. waynet profile image74
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Yes, coconut oil and a fine tooth comb usually does the trick...the key is to get rid of all of the eggs and the adult lice! Takes time to comb, but it must be done!

4. Tyler Bracken profile image82
    Tyler Brackenposted 6 years ago

Quite a while ago, when I had long hair, my girlfriend's sister brought them home from school. They of course travelled from my girlfriend's sister, to my girlfriend and then on to me.

I bought a nit comb and used it about eight or more times a day. After about a week they were gone. I didn't have any contact with my girlfriend at the time though as I was working away from home.

I'd give them both a comb and tell them to do it each hour. I think that'd work. Mind you, they couldn't do that when at school.

5. OutsideTheLines profile image61
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

I've always heard peanut butter and a fine comb. Don't know if it's an old wives tale, but my aunt says it worked for my cousin.

6. oopsydoopsygirl profile image58
    oopsydoopsygirlposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, we went thru this battle. Oh, I feel sorry for you if you're battling this. I used Cetaphil (face cleanser) and a shower cap. I covered my sons hair in this stuff before bedtime and put a shower cap on him. In the morning, I simply combed out his hair and rinsed with vinegar. No lice. I had tried the Nix and it was not working. People swore by this and it worked. Make sure you wash everything in hot water (sheets, blankets, clothing). Good luck.

7. Eliminate Cancer profile image58
    Eliminate Cancerposted 5 years ago

It takes 2 weeks to get rid of head lice, no matter what you do.

I found shampooing with Dr. Bronners soap kills the lice.  Then you need to remove eggs and nits.

Get a lice comb -

every day, for two weeks lather their hair with conditioner and comb through completely - this will loosen and remove the nits.

Also, if their hair is long, a hot flat iron will kill nits as well - but you still have to comb it out, and get anything closer to the scalp with other methods.