jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are there really people with multiple personalities?

1. Lola1929 profile image60
    Lola1929posted 6 years ago

Are there really people with multiple personalities?

2. syzygyastro profile image81
    syzygyastroposted 6 years ago

Apparently so. I have met one that I can assure you that there were two distinct personalities and they had two different memories. In ancient times, this was seen as demon possession. Today, it is recognized by modern psychiatry as multiple personality disorder. How this occurs baffles many scientists but one of the causes appears to be severe shock of some kind of long repressed desires and denial.

3. OutsideTheLines profile image59
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

Definitely. I've met a few of them in my time. Really odd, but really sad at the same time.

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image82
    schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago

Yes, it's an affliction and I think a result of severe trauma.
    In the case of Sybil- true story and movie- her abuse was so severe that her mind imagined she was not there and "that" was another personality and so on. Complex but watch Sybil. smile

5. rockrweasle profile image69
    rockrweasleposted 6 years ago

Some people have Dissociative Personality Disorder where they have multiple personalities that the subconscious creates but the original personality isn't aware of. These personalities are often created in order to help the person deal with some kind of repressed memory from childhood (or at least that is the most typical cause that researchers have found thus far).
    http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/diss … y-disorder

working