jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why is it that I am only thirsty at night?

1. kikalina profile image90
    kikalinaposted 6 years ago

Why is it that I am only thirsty at night?

2. cmontijo profile image60
    cmontijoposted 6 years ago

Hmm, do you do a lot psychical activity during the day, or consume to meals (like candies or snack high in salt and sugar)? That can be a reason. How many glasses of water are you drinking during a normal day, are you reaching 5-8 glasses of water? Well in my personal experience every night before I go to sleep a drink about 20-30 oz of water. Another final question is your mouth dry? and saliva sticky during night when you need to drink water? I'm currently working on Dehydration.

3. Cyndi10 profile image89
    Cyndi10posted 6 years ago

That's a good question. Not sure whether that is a medical issue or not. It happens to me at times. I take it to mean that I pay more attention to thirst at night. However, if you're truly, abnormally thirsty consistently or it's a change for you, that may be something to take to your primary care physician. Always good to rule out a medical reason.

4. Art byT Print profile image60
    Art byT Printposted 6 years ago

Perhaps you don't drink enough during the day and the relaxed state you enter at night finally reminds you to do so. wink try drinking more during the day...and no salty snacks before bedtime.

5. kikalina profile image90
    kikalinaposted 6 years ago

I do not do much physical activity during the day although I do chase a 2 year old and have an 8 week old baby!  This has been going on for years.  I do not drink much during the day then at night I wake up thirsty and drink over a litre.  My mouth feels dry at night.

6. profile image0
    lavender3957posted 6 years ago

It could be sleeping with your mouth open causing the dryness in your throat an mouth.I have this problem and I keep a glass of water with a lid and straw to quench my thirst when I wake. Good question.

7. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 6 years ago

It could be that you slow down at night and are able to realize it. You could be on the go constantly, making you not stop and think, "How am I feeling right now?"... my suggestion is to drink more during the day and see what happens.

8. craftybegonia profile image75
    craftybegoniaposted 6 years ago

It could be one of two things, either you don't drink enough water during the day and your body is sponge dry at night and begging for water, or your blood sugar levels are high. I'm diabetic so i know about that.

9. James Halpin profile image70
    James Halpinposted 6 years ago

Drink more through out the day. Cut out salty foods at night time and if you find the the air in your house is dry that could do it too.  But of course I am not a doctor.  So you should always ask your doctor if you have medical concerns.

working