This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you worry about retirement?,about the money you're do and will it be enough?D

1. albertovich profile image61
    albertovichposted 6 years ago

Do you worry about retirement?,about the money you're do and will it be enough?Do you have a Plan B?

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

We are mid 60's now and have started drawing Social Security.

Plan A is to keep working part time and not touch retirement funds until we have to.  We hope that brings us to mid 70's.

Plan B is to use those retirement  funds until they run out. With luck, that could take 20 years, but inflation could halve that.

Plan C is to sell the house and move to an apartment, live on the house money until it runs out - another 10 to 20 years depending on expenses.

After that.. Well, we'd be in our 90's if we lived that long.  Live with the kids if we have to, though they'll be in their 60's by then.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image90
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years ago

Yes I am concerned, since there really is no money. When will the day come they admit it and it all stops? I am working on a plan B now.

4. MobyWho profile image61
    MobyWhoposted 6 years ago

Plans are just that: plans. What really happens depends on more factors than we can control. We're in the middle of Plan C - house gone, living on pension and Social Security - most of which goes to medical problems. Have adjusted for inflation: stay out of aisles with high-priced food; don't even look at the meat dep't; buy non-perishables on sale; learn about nutrition - what foods you NEED to stay healthy. Convince yourself you don't like booze, steak or ice cream - it's really not that hard when you practice. Beyond that, surround yourself with positive-thinking friends; get involved in community and fellowship - if the worst happens, they will be there for you. Give now to others - "What goes around, comes around."

Good Hub - like your others too!

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

Here's the problem.  You don't know how long you will live or what will happen to you during that time.  Therefore, the smartest thing to do is protect what you have as long as you can.  Don't use up your money under any circumstances unless there is just no choice.

One thing to think about is becoming a full time RVer.  This lifestyle isn't for everybody, but it can save you a ton of money...no taxes, minimal upkeep, lower utility bills, etc.  I'm going to write a hub about this soon as I have been a full timer, and it worked well for me.

I can't think of any normal senior who doesn't worry about money, so you are not alone.  You have no control over what will happen health wise, but you CAN limit your liability in other areas.  For example, if your roof goes, it's very expensive to replace it.  In an RV, well...worse case scenario is that you get a different RV, which still will cost less than replacing the roof on a house.  Less is often more.

working