jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Do you sit on a balance ball?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Do you sit on a balance ball?

Some say sitting on a balance ball while doing computer work is better for your back than sitting in a chair.  Have you tried it and found this to be the case?

2. iamageniuster profile image74
    iamageniusterposted 6 years ago

I haven't tried it, but maybe I should and see how it works.

3. Temirah profile image82
    Temirahposted 6 years ago

I have tried it and until you get used to it, it can be a bit distracting at first - so don't try to do something that needs a lot of concentration.
    However I then read (and I can't remember where) that when you get tired or stop concentrating on your sitting posture, you slouch and this can damage the back by putting pressure on the discs.
    You only get one back so I wouldn't take the chance!  An ergonomic chair is probably better for the back than a balance ball.

1. Temirah profile image82
      Temirahposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I found the source that said sitting on a balance ball instead of a chair isn't a good idea: UK researchers found that muscles fatigue rapidly when sitting on the ball & leaning forward makes discs prone to injury. Report in the NY Times 27th Feb

4. Eight8Consulting profile image61
    Eight8Consultingposted 6 years ago

I never used it but i know its good to use when you want to work for short span of time so that you dont get tired up.

5. greatstuff profile image96
    greatstuffposted 6 years ago

I have not used it before and like what iamageniuster said, I should give it a try and see how it works.

6. debbie roberts profile image82
    debbie robertsposted 6 years ago

I have tried it, it's a good way to strengthen core muscles which is probably why it is better for your back than sitting on a standard computer chair, but it needs a bit of getting used to. As I've never had back problems I can't comment if it was better for my back.

7. rlaha profile image69
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

I haven't tried it either. I'm not able to balance myself very well, so I am not sure if I should try it.

8. Maddambutterfly profile image82
    Maddambutterflyposted 6 years ago

My Chiropractor insists that this is the best way to keep your back aliened while sitting at a desk. I must confess that I have still yet to try it.

9. Rachel Richmond profile image58
    Rachel Richmondposted 6 years ago

Yes! It was great for posture ..no shoulder or back ache.  Soon, I will have one here since I didn't bring mine with me.  sad
    Highly recommend it.