When you go to dinner with your beloved do you sit side by side or across from e

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

When you go to dinner with your beloved do you sit side by side or across from each other?

Why would you sit side by side and why would you sit across from each other? There is no right or wrong answer, for each person will have their own reasons or preferences.
    (Photo from Pixabay, Public Domain)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12473095_f260.jpg

2. MarieLB profile image75
    MarieLBposted 8 years ago

Hi Phyllis Doyle Burns, I guess my first reaction would be to say - It depends on the circumstances, however, if we are talking about sitting at a table for two, then opposite each other is what I would consider "natural'.  Come to think of it, even when we are in a group sitting at a large table, we quite often end up sitting opposite each other, and tend to alternate men and women sitting on the same side.

I guess it is easier to communicate with your partner if you can see each other's face!

Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mariel and thanks.

3. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 8 years ago

Interesting question!
    I prefer sitting on the opposite chair, when I go out for dinner with my husband. Its easier to look at each other or communicate that way.
    Sitting side by side is preferred on other occasions, such as watching Television or movie.

Hi Chitrangada and thank you.

4. Motherbynature profile image64
    Motherbynatureposted 8 years ago

It depends on the occasion.  If it's a romantic dinner at the Sky Room we sit side by side because the booth seat is like a loveseat.  They want you to enjoy each other and the skyline view of the city.  We also sit side-by-side at a sports bar because we need to see the tv.

Usually though we sit across from each other at fast food places because we talk a lot and like to have eye contact.

Hi Motherbynature and thank you.

5. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Opposite each other, then I can keep an eye on her and make sure she uses the right cutlery for the right dish, the clean side of the napkin, that her wine glass is at the right angle when she slurps, sorry, drinks, that she isn't making a fool of herself say by sucking up spaghetti noisily or throwing veggies around, that her manners are suitable for the environment we're in, and most of all, that she can then lean over and give me a big smooshy kiss at the end of each course and in between drinks.

This is a tongue-in-cheek answer and not necessarily accurate. Or appropriate.

Apologies Phyllis. I am not such a chauvinista!!

1. MarieLB profile image75
      MarieLBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ha!Ha!!  We will laugh at it for sure, but will you if SHE sees it??  LOL!! smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Hi Andrew. LOL, you are a cut-up,

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12473570_f260.jpg

Usually face to face. Being able to look into each other eyes without having to turn your head is a good thing. However I understand the argument that sitting side by side allows for more physical touching.
    Having said that a lot of folks who sit side by side do so for the purpose of people watching or taking in the sights of the restaurant décor. Being in the center of a (semi circle booth) is great for this.
    Note: The longer a couple has been together the less time is spent staring into each other eyes. I see lots of people looking at their cell phones while waiting for their meals to arrive. LOL!

Hi dashingscorpio and thank you.

7. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

When it is just the two of us, which is most of the time, we prefer to sit facing each other. Conversation is easier, especially because he is hard of hearing. The sound projects better to his hearing aids. Many times in the car we have to truncate our conversation because he can't hear my voice over the road noise. But I've always preferred sitting opposite my "date" rather than beside him. I guess it started when I was married to a lefty, and sometimes it got awkward depending on the seating arrangement.

Hi MizB and thank you.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

When my wife and I are seated at a table (that has 4 chairs) we usually sit next to each other. This allows us to keep our voices down or share food easier. But, for the most part we sit across from each other.

Hi MT and thank you.

9. manatita44 profile image70
    manatita44posted 8 years ago

I have done both. I have never been one for convention, really. Still, my experience is that when you are truly close, it is usually way down on the list of concerns. Much Love, Phyllis.

Hi Manatita and thanks for contributing.

10. Edward J. Palumbo profile image83
    Edward J. Palumboposted 8 years ago

It depends on the table arrangement. We prefer to discuss or comment quietly and usually share whatever tastes delicious so we can keep it in mind when we revisit the restaurant, so we sit beside each other, unless the table of booth is narrow enough to permit conversation and face-to-face seating. After 33 years of marriage, we seem to communicate volumes with our eyes and expressions.

Hi Edward and thank you.

11. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

across each other, he doesn't like side by side, weird to be looking at someone else, sitting opposite

Hi Peachy and thank you.

12. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Phyllis , Now you already know that it's all about  eye contact , a flick of the hair , a touch under the table cloth ,  a touch of fingers in conversation ,   a laugh  and a flirt and a tear or two  !..........the side by side is always for later on !

So true, Ed, I agree. Thanks for contributing.

13. Marie Flint profile image74
    Marie Flintposted 8 years ago

I don't get much of a chance to do either these days, Phyllis, but, in the beginning, I preferred across because I could see the eyes and facial expressions. As children arrived, I often still found myself across with my daughter next to me on the inside of the booth. Sometimes we had the opportunity at family gatherings to sit next to each other. This physical nearness helped me to remain calm among strangers (gatherings were from his side of the family) who eventually became familiar.

Nice question.

Hi Marie and thanks.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)