Would you erase pain from your life if you could?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. ithabise profile image73
    ithabiseposted 12 years ago

Would you erase pain from your life if you could?

2. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

that is difficult to answer. the pain that i have felt and do feel has been, in large part, a contributing factor to who i am today. through all of the experience i have had both myself and my family members, i have learned to value what is really important. to value the presence of my love ones...on the planet...rather than any material thing,
    perhaps i would have learned that anyway, but i am not sure.
    so...as 'painful' as it is to have pain, i think it has been responsible for me being a better me.

3. tamlee21 profile image59
    tamlee21posted 12 years ago

I would love to say yes, but who or what would I be?  If I hadn't experienced tremendous pain in my life, I would probably just go through the motions of life.  Instead I live each day as if it's a gift.  I can appreciate all of the details others don't see.  I don't take myself or loved ones for granted any more.

So...no.

4. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

No. Even though those times were difficult, they morphed me into how I am. I enjoy who I am and home I don't change any time soon.

5. ALUR profile image60
    ALURposted 12 years ago

I think a simple "yes" cannot suffice for it was pain that opened the mouth of great words to explode from the past and the pain I went through. What I would want most is to eliminate the suffering.
    Though I know that suffering is a great teacher.

6. moiragallaga profile image77
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

I'm tempted to say yes, but like the others here, the pain we experience in our lives is what helps us be who and what we are as we go through our life. It is like the fire that tempers steel, it makes us strong. Also, experiencing pain helps us learn to appreciate and value joy and our blessings a lot more.

7. toys-everywhere profile image61
    toys-everywhereposted 12 years ago

I don't think so.
    I have fibromyalgia, so I feel physical pain almost every day of my life. Some days it is a struggle to MOVE in my bed, much more so to get OUT of it. Sometimes I think it's so unfair, that throughout my childhood, I was plagued by pain that I couldn't understand. It's unfair that, in my adolescence, my father tells me, "Oh, you're young," and begins to list the complaints of his aging body, treating me as though it's all in my head and I am an infernal liar.
    It's unfair that every other day, I get so tired all of a sudden that I just want to lay down and not ever get up, when this is the point in my life that I should be most vigorous and active-- enjoying life, physically. It's unfair that, after a few hours--sometimes just even minutes-- of walking, I have to drag my legs, in alternation, because they begin to ache until I want to cry. It's unfair that, when I lay down, my arm goes numb, and then hurts. It's unfair that, as I sit studying, in an instant I feel as though I have run several marathons and should just about collapse, when I have not moved for a half hour.
    It's all unfair, if I think about it in this way. But it is more fair in one very important way. I know what it is to be in pain. I know what it is to not be able to do what you earnestly want to do. I know what it is, to have your body almost literally be a prison. I am young, but I already know what it is to be old. I am an empathetic person by nature, but I have literally, "been there, done that", and I have better relationships with people who are far older than me, than I do with youths my own age. I have learned more from such people than I otherwise would have, even on my own. It is a different way of life that I might never have found, without my daily dose of pain smile I am now different, in so many ways.
    So, if I had the chance and the choice, no, I would not erase pain. You learn from every piece of the pain you get.

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Some of it, yes.  I think our emotional pain tends to form us as people - but enough is enough! So I would lessen the past emotional pain somewhat.  I would definitely get rid of the physical pain I have.

9. profile image58
    WendyAnthroposted 12 years ago

My rational, scientific brain would answer: No, pain occurs to tell your brain that something is wrong with your body. If you didn't have pain you wouldn't know that you're sitting on your foot and cutting off your circulation or that you've placed your hand on a hot burner and will do irreparable damage to yourself if you don't correct the action. Pain also lets us know when we are sick or when we are approaching the limitations of our body's range of movement (hopefully before injury). When we are injured or sick, pain reminds us to take it easy. Our brains learn and form an automatic response to painful stimuli so that we don't repetitively endanger ourselves. The ability to feel and interpret pain is one of the brain's many evolutionary adaptations and began with the first organisms who possessed central nervous systems.

The emotional half would answer the same as many others in this thread: Still, no. There have certainly been times in my life where I have been in severe physical or emotional pain and have wished that it would go away or that I could erase it. However, I know that finding the strength to endure it or the courage to remedy it has been a major source of growth, reflection, and motivation in my life. If my life had been easy and pain-free, I might have enjoyed it more but I wouldn't be the person I am today. There's a saying that goes something like, "How can we know true love, goodness, and joy if we don't experience hatred, evil, and pain?". I think this poignantly illustrates the necessity of the duality of the nature of life. No Yin without Yang, no black without white, no up without down, no positive without negative.

10. Nicola Tweedie profile image60
    Nicola Tweedieposted 12 years ago

No, pain has acted in my life to help me: move away from things that are bad for me; take time and rest; appreciate vulnerability; learn the beauty of help from others; give to those I would have otherwise ignored; and learn to be still.

11. profile image52
    michelegoldsteinposted 12 years ago

I have erased emotional pain from my life through my beliefs and unconditional acceptance of myself, others and life situations. I have also minimized physical pain by recognizing it as a message from my higher self and using a Louise Hay book (Heal Your Body) to interpret the pains emotional root and following up with the afformations. So my answer is a definate YES!

12. alisha4u profile image40
    alisha4uposted 12 years ago

Ofcourse, don't know about others...But, i would love to eradicate pain from my life...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)