Are balance and motion sickness related?

1. peoplepower73 profile image92
    peoplepower73posted 6 years ago

Are balance and motion sickness related?

I have excellent balance compared to what I see in my exercise class. Howerver, I get motion sickness at the drop of hat.  If I drive for more than an hour in stop and go traffic, I will turn green. I have been on many boats and ships and I still get it. However I can walk on a balance beam without any problem and do all the balance exercises while others are hanging on to walls or whatever to support themselves.

I thought balance and motions sickness were a function of how well the inner ear canal functions. How can I have one without the other?

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Balance and motion sickness are both related to inner ear function.  The main variant is that in one instance you are in control of your own body motion (on the balance beam) and in the other you are not (riding in a car, on a boat).  It's most often when we are not the ones doing the moving action that motion sickness is triggered. 

What types of movement and how ill people feel can be highly individualized.  Some people get sick from slight movement, some only from extreme changes, but in most instances, it's from being a person inside or on a moving object and not quite being able to adapt.

3. JamaGenee profile image84
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

I think relache's answer sums it up.  In your exercise class and on the balance beam, YOU are in control, whereas on a boat or ship, you're at the mercy of the motion of the vessel.  You can't predict which way it'll sway next, so your brain and body can't prepare (or adjust quick enough) for the movement.  I've never been on a ship (large bodies of open water terrify me), and I've only ever experienced motion sickness in a car once.  Coming down a mountain from Harrison to Conway, Arkansas, the road had so many twists and near-hairpin turns that I was turning green by the time we got to Conway.  Felt like my brain was being repeatedly shaken and stirred like a good martini.  Not a good feeling at all!  You have my sympathies.