What negative effects can not drinking water daily have on the human body?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Neinahpets profile image81
    Neinahpetsposted 11 years ago

What negative effects can not drinking water daily have on the human body?

We all know that drinking water can have positive effects on the human body... but what about those who never drink water and drink mostly things like juice and soda pop daily?  What are the short term and long term effects of such a lifestyle?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7634581_f260.jpg

2. ArtzGirl profile image74
    ArtzGirlposted 11 years ago

I have a background in modeling and makeup artistry with training with an emphasis on skincare. 

Drinking fresh water is one of the first things that they stress in modeling courses or when you start a new routine at the gym with a personal trainer.  It is a critical element for hydration of the body, as well as plumping the skin where it appears younger, more hydrated, and less wrinkled.  Water also helps the system remove toxins from the skin and hydrate the body where it is easier to eliminate waste material and to end constipation.

I learned from my veterinarian that if a dog's stool is "grape-ing"-- meaning that it is balling up in clumps, then there is a lack of fiber and water in the diet.  This can lead to chronic constipation.

----------

Many areas in the USA have lost the battle with fluoridation of water, so there is more of a risk of toxicity now, than before they were adding fluoride to the water.

I have heard certain people recommend distilled water over regular water... but  most certainly, bottled water is much better than water that is coming out of your tap!

1. greencha profile image62
      greenchaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

excellent answer.

2. Neinahpets profile image81
      Neinahpetsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well this explains a lot..  In 2010 I switched to a few cans of diet pop a day paired with half my body weight in water.  I had smooth, clear skin that was pretty.. lost that routine, gave up water after a move 2yrs ago..  now skin is paying for it.

3. Cristale profile image82
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

This can make a body dehydrated, which means dry skin with more wrinkles and dark colored pee. If continued, certain organs may start to shut down and hospitalization is required.

Definitely want to avoid dry skin and wrinkles... all the other things too, but not my poor skin!

4. greencha profile image62
    greenchaposted 11 years ago

Not much to add from what Artzgirl  and Cristale said above except a person can be dehydrated without feeling thirsty,so that's why its important to instil drinking sips of (GOOD)water through the day as  almost a habit.
      I don't know about USA but in Uk here the dumb thick stupid Government/s have allowed not only flouridisation of our GOD given water,but also addition of aluminium,--yes--to make it sparkly--  Well what do you expect when we got our poiiticians  with millions of ££££'s shares/interests in these big multi-nationals messing up our planet for self interest.-- Oh well at least our water looks nice and sparkly when it comes out our taps,it may give us Alzheimers,cancer etc but that must be  a small matter---(I thinks not) I look forward to reading more imput on this comments page as its such a crucial important issue-water- considering every living thing depends on it to survive. Even us humans are made up of about 92% water.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 11 years ago

I hear what all of you are saying...but then again, I don't.  Guess when I start to see a problem with my longstanding avoidance of water (drink-wise), I'll most likely change my opinion...but so far, I'm not buying it.

6. coleikerd profile image81
    coleikerdposted 11 years ago

ArtzGirl and Cristale have great information. I just have a little to add.

Among the first signs of dehydration are headaches. I heard from a doctor/nutritionist when I was a kid that many people suffer migraines without knowing a little water would fix the problem. His statement was that most people who suffer headaches just need water.

As I grew up I started hearing about how people drink alcohol and have to urinate a lot. That got me thinking about what a hangover is. So I researched it. Most symptoms of a hangover are also symptoms of dehydration. Complete with headache, sensitivity to sound and light, and vomiting. Your brain even has trouble performing if you don't have proper hydration. No kidding.

In short, just think of how you feel with a hangover, and adjust for how dehydrated you are. Less water = less awesome.

I have really bad headaches and I don't drink water.  This is one reason for my question.. I'm told because I keep a constant headache that this is probably to blame.  Your words back that up.  Thank you.

2. coleikerd profile image81
      coleikerdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

It is possible that something else is the issue, but there's an easy way to find out. And an overdose of water is much harder to achieve than an overdose of so many other things.

Here's to relieving headaches. *toasts*

7. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 11 years ago

Pure water is actually a cleaning agent for your body. But it doesn't mean you should drink 2/3 liters of water a day. Your daily intake should be approximately 2/3 liters of fluid which means water, fruit, milk, veggies, and any other foodstuffs that contain fluids.
    Water along with it's friendly buddies help cleanse the body and keep it in a healthy condition.
    The theme water and the human body is a very interesting subject, and maybe it is worth the research and ending with a great hub.

Perhaps if I don't see any hubs created I might just put one together based on my findings and feedback here!  Thank you!

8. Electro-Denizen profile image79
    Electro-Denizenposted 11 years ago

I find this water drinking thing very strange really. I think a lot of it has come to our consciousness due to the marketeers, as usual, who want to sell you water and has become another thing to worry about.

The fact is, is that some people just don't drink water (like my mother in law), though she will have 1 cup of tea every day (very old school!). My own mother certainly talks about the fact that this idea of having to drink a certain quantity of water to be healthy, is a modern thing. Obviously we need fluid, but a lot comes in fruits and vegetables and is absorbed when bathing.

Drinking fizzy drinks is really no good - perhaps the fluid is good, but certainly the excess of sugar, or sugar replacement (e.g. poisons like aspartame), is really to be avoided.

Interesting insight... I'm not sure I entirely agree with it, but it is an interesting way of looking at things.    Thanks for sharing!

Oh, my mother in law also drinks tea everyday and has lost weight and feels so much better so I agree on tea.

9. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

Drinking sodas can be a down fall for ones health in many ways, like the skin and dehydration and off-course in the increase of sugar levels, I prefer  a few glasses of water per day  which leaves one  with a healthy skin and  and other health issues  don't increase either.

Probably why I developed diabetes back in the day.  Whoops?

10. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 11 years ago

Water and oxygen are the most important nutrients for the human body. A person can only survive about three minutes without air and only three days without water. The body's supply of water is responsible for every bodily function. Sufficient water intake helps maintain a high level of health and prevents dehydration problems. A person should consume at least eight 8-oz. glasses of water each day for maximum health benefits.

Dehydration
    Dehydration is the state of not having enough fluid in the body. It is common for athletes who fail to drink enough water during strenuous exercise, but it can also occur in anyone who does not receive adequate fluid intake. The elderly are especially susceptible to dehydration. The normal aging process tends to cause a decrease in thirst, which results in several problems associated with dehydration. Some symptoms of dehydration are dry skin, loss of appetite, headaches and confusion. Drinking enough water can alleviate these symptoms.

Digestion Problems
    The digestive tract is a very complex system that requires water to help break down food. Heartburn, indigestion and constipation are some problems associated with inadequate water intake. The stomach lining is 98 percent water and contains bicarbonate to protect against stomach acid. This lining should be thick at all times to prevent stomach problems. Water helps maintain the thickness of the stomach lining. Not drinking enough water thins the lining, causing damage.

Arthritis
    Cartilage in the body joints consists of approximately 80 percent water. This cartilage gives the joints a smooth surface and allows them to slide easily during movement, but they must remain lubricated. Not drinking enough water causes less lubrication of the joints, resulting in a greater amount of friction. When these joints lose their lubrication, they begin to degenerate quickly leading to arthritis. Drink the recommended amount of 1/2 oz. of water per pound of weight to help keep joints lubricated and reduce arthritis pain.

High Blood Pressure
    Insufficient water intake can lead to high blood pressure. A shortage of water causes some capillaries to close, which results in a restriction in the movement of blood. This restriction of blood results in higher blood pressure as the body tries harder to push the blood through.

Source: Google

1. greencha profile image62
      greenchaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks brilliant..

2. Neinahpets profile image81

Thank you for finding some information on the subject.

11. poshcoffeeco profile image82
    poshcoffeecoposted 11 years ago

Dehydration is normally associated with the desert in mind. The human body is made up of over 70 percent water. Without water the body dehydrates. Read this article detailing the top 10 effects. read more

12. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I see this question has basically been answered except for one thing. Not drinking water can cause tooth decay as well.

Really?  How does lack of water cause tooth decay?  I had never heard of this one.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Water contains fluoride which strengthens the enamel on your teeth.

3. Neinahpets profile image81

Oh wow, learn something new everyday!  Thank you for giving me some knowledge I need.  As someone who avoids water, no wonder my dentist tells me veneers would be helpful to maintain my teeth for weaker enamel!  Kudos!

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome.

5. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course well water and a lot of bottled water, distilled water, etc., doesn't contain fluoride.  Treated city water will, for sure, though.  Toothpaste works even better.

13. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

Don't do it in a dry arid climate like Arizona. Quick wrinkling of the skin will result. 
    Your body is 70% water so it is a necessity. Certain body organs will be damaged and possible incurable health issues perhaps resulting in a premature death.

Very interesting tip, I will keep that in mind.  I used to live out there, but right now I'm in a very chilly place.  Thanks for the insight!

14. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

Water is good for you, but too much is not! If someone is not showing any signs of health problems they might just be doing what is right for their body.

You get water in many other forms other than out of the tap so even those who don’t seem to drink water most often do. For most people, the body is its own best guide, because forcing yourself to drink too much water throughout the day is not only unnecessary, but can cause damage to your body.

Great advice!

15. John Sarkis profile image82
    John Sarkisposted 11 years ago

On a personal narrative.  Before I was 30, you could have counted with one hand the number of times I ever drank water.  One day, my kidneys started to have problems; I was deteriorating!  I visited my doctor and he said I needed to start drinking water - right away!  It helps to drink a few glasses a day, but to this day nothing taste better like a icy cold coca cola.

That's the position I'm in.  I'll be 30 this year and I've not held a strict water regime.  In fact, I don't really get any right now and think I should because of related issues.

16. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

1. Dehydration
    2. Bad breath
    3. Kidney failure
    4. Liver failure
    5. General ill health plus ...
    6. Death
    Perhaps someone could use this as a Hub. Try Rajan. He does extremely good health Hubs.

Death from lack of water?  I could understand death from dehydration from having no food or water... but death if you eat and drink other things?  That's news for me.  And yes, his hubs are great.  I follow him smile  Thanks!

17. CrescentSkies profile image62
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

Dehydration, poor Oral hygiene (believe it or not water and saliva play an important part of keeping cavities out of your mouth) and naturally weakness due to the lack of water to move food to and from your cells.

18. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

actually, plain water helps to flush out toxins in our body and provide tears, sweat in our eyes and skin too. In addition, by drinking water early in the morning, the first thing you should do is drink a glass of water to clear the dry throat and helps to prevent sore throat. however, i don't drink mineral water or filtered water. I boiled my water in a kettle and let it cool before drinking it. Safer this way.

Safer even for well water?

19. Coolh profile image61
    Coolhposted 10 years ago

When a person stops drinking water or doesn't drink enough, they can become dehydrated. Symptoms of dehydration include dry and sticky mouth, sunken eyes, not producing enough tears, little to no urine output and lethargy, Water consumption helps the body breathe, because it moistens the lungs. Lung functions can use up to a pint of water every day, decreasing the body's moisture through exhalation.if people follow the general recommendation to consume eight to ten glasses of water a day,they can stay properly hydrated.

20. Borsia profile image41
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

So long as you are drinking enough fluids you are going to get the water your body requires.
    All drinks are 95+% water usually 99% so the difference between say a glass of water and a glass of tea are very small and the tea might well be better for you.
    The problems come when the 1-5% of the drink are bad things like corn syrup, sugar, etc. Then you are getting inflammatory agents into your body that can cause ill effects.

Neinahpetsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting to see the numbers of how just a little of the negative additives can do so much damage!  Thanks!

21. djdaniel150 profile image60
    djdaniel150posted 10 years ago

Not drinking water is just bad news, especially for your kidneys. All that soda and sugar is truly the enemy. People who abuse themselves with a constant bombarding of sugary drinks end up with failed kidneys by the time they're 40. Not worth it.

1. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub on water and kidneys, and another one on the role water plays in the human body. Both answer questions posed here. This is the kidneys one: http://watergeek.hubpages.com/hub/Kidne … e-of-Water

22. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

Drinking a lot of water is very good for the proper functioning of our body. It not only makes us healthy but attractive too. Yes, water has a great role in giving a shiny and smooth appearance to our skin. By drinking plenty of water any toxic substances that reach our body accidently, will automatically go out of the body as urine and keep us healthy always.

23. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

If you drink too much liquid with sugar. You become a diabetic person. If you do not drink water  or any other liquid . You dehydrate. If you drink  a lot of water before you go to sleep. You end up with puffy eyes. Everything with moderation is good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)