jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should Autism be considered something that needs curing?

1. calico Stark profile image59
    calico Starkposted 6 years ago

Should Autism be considered something that needs curing?

Some with Autism would argue that their differences are a setback, what do you think?

2. roxanne459 profile image89
    roxanne459posted 6 years ago

Great Question! My son has Aspergers Syndrome so I have pondered this many times myself. The answer I came up with is 'kinda'. Was that helpful? (kidding)
    I believe there are many ways we can help our loved ones who are on the Spectrum be their very best. I've always felt that is was almost abusive to just sit back and say, "Well, there's nothing I can do for him.. He has Autism." I havn't met too many people that are actively on a quest to 'cure' their loved ones but I have met many people who are always trying to find a way to help them reach their full potential. Good Luck!

3. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

I agree with Roxanne...I don't think we should look for a "cure" but instead look for the best way to help a child in the Spectrum...

4. Elderberry Arts profile image97
    Elderberry Artsposted 5 years ago

As a adult with aspergers and a parent to two children also on the spectrum I don't believe we should try and cure them (I don't want to be) That is like saying that there is something bad that is wrong with them and they should work to conform and be like everyone else. We maybe different and some traits are a setback, that is for sure! but I believe we should work on understanding and helping them to live happy lives and also how to work with their skills and limitations.
    I only received my DX as an adult and since I have been able to understand myself more and work with my strengths while not feeling bad about what I struggle with I have been much happier and felt more success.