What causes the bumpy ridges in fingernails? Some of my nails have them and some

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 12 years ago

What causes the bumpy ridges in fingernails? Some of my nails have them and some don't.

2. emdi profile image64
    emdiposted 12 years ago

Do you have asthma or breathing related problems?

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question! Yes, I have two  breathing-related problems that are very mild and don't normally affect me. Perhaps you've nailed (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun) the problem right there!! Thanks for your comment!

3. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

I've got these too.  They are horizontal ridges, (from the tip to the bottom of the nail).  I wonder if yours go the same way..  I've had them for the last few years, and have assumed that they were from dryness, as my skin has got very dry within that time also.

It's interesting that emdi asks about asthma, as I am asthmatic.  I hadn't considered anything to do with this before.

Agreed! I hadn't considered breathing-related problems before, either! Very interesting.  Oh— my ridges go vertically, parallel to the growth off the nail and opposite to yours. Thanks for your comments, Moon Daisy!

2. Juline Kerr profile image59
      Juline Kerrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good old fashioned H2O will do wonders for your skin and nails. The rule from my Nutritionist (former Mr. Universe) - drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces - daily. Good luck!

4. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 12 years ago

It often means a lack in nutrition. Things like jello and more proteins can help your nails become stronger and healthier.

Oh good—I love Jello! A good excuse to make and eat more of it. That and more protein—yum! Thanks for commenting!

5. greatstuff profile image92
    greatstuffposted 12 years ago

Your nail will can tell the state of your health. I think bumpy ridges could be due to stress level being high.

6. hirundine profile image60
    hirundineposted 12 years ago

I had that and still do, faintly, in ring finger left-hand and little finger; next too.

Yet a few years ago, it was growing on all nails plus thumbs; in a similar way. They were becoming brittle too. Yet, once I switched over to a morning bowl of muesli. The condition cleared up and even my toenails became sleek and hard. Since I make a version of muesli, that is with nuts and seeds. Sunflower and sesame using filbert and almond mostly. The condition began to improve when I started drinking a glass of chia seed in water, each morning. After that, I had also started muesli and cut out the chia seed. So obviously the condition is reversible, no matter the cause.

1. Juline Kerr profile image59

Calcium (vitamin d milk) (don't take calcium supplements b/c it's easy to overdose) and plenty of H2O daily and after a month or 2, the ridges will be a distant memory. :3

7. debbie roberts profile image71
    debbie robertsposted 12 years ago

Some of my nails have developed slight ridges as I've gotten older, I was told that it can be a sign of damage to the nail bed. I tend to go along with that as although I try to look after my nails, just the doing the day to day housework must cause some nail bed damage over the years.

8. Maddambutterfly profile image73
    Maddambutterflyposted 12 years ago

I'm going to have to agree with emdi answer. I came down with pneumonia a year ago and my nails formed horrible ridges! As my lungs continue to get better the ridges are slowly going away.

9. thebestyou profile image62
    thebestyouposted 12 years ago

I have always heard it is some kind of vitamin or mineral deficiency

10. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

Ridges often occur as you age, the older you get the more pronounced they become.

Really pronounced ridges could be the sign of an underlying health condition such as malnutrition, diabetes, or even as a side effect of a medication. My sister has a ridge on her pinky finger from nail damage that occurred when she was a kid.

I've got slight ridges, the kind nobody else notices, but I sure notice! I do try my best to take care of my nails by making sure I have enough folic acid in my diet. This helps prevent them from splitting and cracking, but I'm not sure if there is a relationship between folic acid and ridges.

11. Castle Moms profile image56
    Castle Momsposted 11 years ago

Ive had ridges in my fingernails as well, my entire life.
    I went to the doctor for this as a kid and found out that it was a zinc deficiency.
    Though, in beauty school I did learn that it often means there is an underlying health problem. Though these problems usually start to show in your hair as well. Loss of hair or weak and brittle hair are just a few examples. Your hair and your nails are usually the first to show signs when there is a definite health risk.
    There can also be many other factors for these ridges, such as;
    Environmental changes,
    Color change due to smoking and or environment,
    Damage to the nail bed,
    Age can definitely weaken the surface.
    Most likely if you are young and of good health they are just likely to be more of an annoyance than anything and not very attractive to you.
    If you have a pretty strong nail plate, meaning your nails do not often crack and only flexible when wet, then you can remove these ridges.
    Simply buy a buffer from your local beauty supply and run back and fourth over the surface of the nail itself.
    I suggest buying two types of buffers.
    One that is much rougher, this will remove the ridges and another that is smoother, this will finish the nail with a smoother finish.
    Always file the nail after anytime you "clip" your nails, this will keep your nails from splitting.
    You can also try finishing with a clear polish

Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Too cool! You are a wealth of information, and I will begin taking zinc supplements right away. Who knew? Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out--it is very helpful to me and I'm sure other readers as well.

Cheers!

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I will try zinc too, thanks but although my nails are like that I have a very thick, strong head of hair that will never change if anything like my mothers.

12. shaneesangel profile image59
    shaneesangelposted 11 years ago

Are your nail ridges vertical, if yes then you probably have dry skin, Start drinking more water and use moisturizer. For horizontal nail ridges i can only say that it might be due to some underlying health problem you can consult your health care provider.

Source: http://natures-best-home-remedies.blogs … nails.html

13. profile image52
    Clementine8posted 11 years ago

Hi
    Ive always had these and i knew it had something to do with my health. Have a think about the condition of your skin and hair as they will also be indictors or your over ll health and diet. Are the dry etc.The ridges are usually a lot more prominent on the thumbs.
    Ridges on nails are a common sign a nutrient deficiency, usually iron, the b vitamin groups or not enough oils in the diet.  It can also be a sign of poor thyroid function.
    If you are feeling tired talk to your doctor about getting your thyroid function checked and iron levels.
    If your hair is brittle and weak and your skin dry, drink more water and et more good oils such as nuts, seeds and avocados.
    And to make your nails grow strong and healthy rub some vitamin E into the nail bed before you go to sleep each night....You will see the difference within a week!!

Cool! I never noticed it before, but you're right: the ridges on my thumbs are more pronounced. I'll follow your other advice above, too. It's on my list to ask my doctor questions about thyroid and iron and these ridges. Thanks much for your help!

2. Juline Kerr profile image59

I agree with Clementine in reference to vitamin E. However, it's a calcium deficiency, not Iron and dehydration is the #1 cause of ridged nails. Vitamin E needs to be taken orally (1000 IU) daily and drink 1/2 of your body weight I fl. ozs daily too.

14. profile image54
    Jerryjarposted 11 years ago

Do you have asthma or breathing related problems?

15. Charrstarr profile image60
    Charrstarrposted 11 years ago

Well I had the same thing in my nails....pits in the nails as well as ridges. They were also very tender to the touch at times....so one day, I went to the Dermatologist as a second opinion because my primary care had no clue ( as most times most Doctors.... they have no clue. lol) Well, the Dermatologist told me that the pits and ridges were due to psoriasis. They gave me these little creams but mentioned that there wasn't much they could do besides that.

Hope this helps. smile

Thanks! I can use all the help I can get. (Couldn't we all, right?) I'll be sure to see a dermatologist and ask about the psoriasis cream if my nails get so bad that they are tender or get pits in them. :-) Thanks again for your help!

2. Charrstarr profile image60
      Charrstarrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

3. Juline Kerr profile image59

Sorry if this comes across harshly, but its nutrition 101. Your GP needs to retake that class. It's calcium, Vitamin E and H2O. I'm not irritated at you. I'm stunned that a doctor doesn't know something so simple.

16. greencha profile image61
    greenchaposted 11 years ago

From my understanding it could be symptomatic of deficiency of minerals/trace minerals/or and certain vitamin/s. Trace mineral wise it could be lack of Selenium,(Selenium is specifically good/essential for healthy hair/nails. In  Western Europe there is a natural deficiency of Selenium in the soil,especially in UK and Denmark-where there is a law demanding farmers put Selenium additives in the soil. Which we should do here in UK.)Zinc,or Potassium.
        Vitamin wise,it  could be a lack of Vitamin C or B (combinations) I would only be concerned if its very pronounced and getting progressively worse. In that case a call to your Doctor would be advisable.

17. profile image53
    christinaplaistowposted 11 years ago

It's almost always a dietary imbalance. Sometimes they can be a sign of a serious health problem like thyroid issues but normally they are caused by things like iron deficiency.  Ridges in the finger nails can also be a sign of heavy metal poising.  Your Doc should be able to run some easy blood labs to see if all of your mineral levels are good. From there you can add a supplement or if something is too high consider filtering your tap water.  Some water supplies are too mineral rich and need to be filtered.

18. Kristie Layne profile image56
    Kristie Layneposted 11 years ago

They are signs of poor health. Have a check up and watch your health and diet.

19. evamaries profile image59
    evamariesposted 10 years ago

Anytime you see a change in your body whether it be ridged fingernails, dry brittle hair, skin rashes, that can be caused by a variety of things one being allergies there is something else going on underneath the skin.  There is something your body is telling you and it can be difficult to find out what it is.  Unless your symptoms are threatening your quality of life asking your doctor may not give you the answer that you want.
    I also had the same problem and being as persistant as I am I asked my doctor and he said it was the way my body was laying down its protein.  That's a big statement that can be hard to understand in just a few words.  But he said simply taking gelatin can help that.  It can be purchased over the counter in any store in the baking section.  Hope this helps!

20. profile image55
    Vijay antonyposted 10 years ago

Ya the answer for this ques is many people are having tis problem...This is due to allergies wic was said by experts

That makes sense--I'm allergic to everything :-). Thanks Vijay antony.

21. galleryofgrace profile image71
    galleryofgraceposted 10 years ago

I've read all the replies and they are all on target, especially the zinc deficiency and dermatology problems. There is one more reason that was left out.
    Using nail clippers to trim your nails rather than a file will cause ridges that are vertical; running from the cuticle to the tip.

22. suzettenaples profile image87
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

I have been told by doctors and nurses that it is a vitamin deficiency. Although, I don't know who've vitamin.  I have been told gelatin strengthens nails- don't know if that's true or not.

23. Sundeep Kataria profile image63
    Sundeep Katariaposted 10 years ago

Wealth of information here. So I will briefly add that even in Palmistry ( both Indian and Western) it indicates a health issue.

24. erorantes profile image48
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

You can fix your nails. When you get regularly a manicure. When you remove the cuticle  and you get the arm and hand massage.  The nail file and the smooth over the nail will help the nail grow healthy. After you manicure, you can see if you need more than a manicure. Perhaps,  you need some vitamins acording to your age.

25. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

If the ridges run the length of your nails, it is due to getting older, and harmless. If the ridges run the width of your nails, it could be an indicator of something else going on. See a doctor if they run the width of your nails

26. Besarien profile image73
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

Rub a drop of coconut oil into your cuticles at bedtime. Make certain you are drinking enough water and getting enough protein, B complex, C, calcium and zinc every day. It may take a while but you can have smoother nails if you keep up an improved diet and properly moisturize your cuticles from inside and out.

If after 3 months you discern no improvements then see a doctor and get a blood test. You might be suffering from a hidden health condition or by suffering mal-absorption of nutrients due to borderline allergies or food intolerances or other reasons.

27. Ali Hamza 129 profile image46
    Ali Hamza 129posted 6 years ago

etiology is multifaceted
    real deal is to get your labs done first

28. Matchbanker profile image61
    Matchbankerposted 4 years ago

t depends on what you've been eating mostly

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)