Why do some men have long fingernails?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 72 discussions (87 posts)
  1. cocopreme profile image89
    cocopremeposted 12 years ago

Why do some men have long fingernails?

I saw a man recently who had very long fingernails, especially on the pinkies.  I have seen other men with long pinky nails as well.  Why do some men wear long fingernails like this? Is there something special about the pinky nail?

1. Hill Watery profile image55
      Hill Wateryposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

link is malware virus.  This is been reported.

2. profile image53
      Linda Stormposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Cocaine user

3. Nicole Margulis profile image53
      Nicole Margulisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there's anything special about the pinkie. The men you saw were probably too lazy to cut their nails. UPDATE: I read the other comments so now I think that the pinkie nail is a sign that those men snort drugs. Stay away from those people.

4. Masta Don profile image58
      Masta Donposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Either to pick ears, nose, or sniff cocaine up their nose. Those who use the pinky nail to pick their ear or nose will not use this pinky nail to sniff coke. They will use a key, pen cap with pocket hanger, or dollar bill. As said in previous replies, string instrument players have nails. Having nails helps with some tasks working in your office too. Mostly everyone will assume cocaine for someone with one pinky nail. I keep all my nails the same and stay away from the cain. Hope this helps. Just because they do coke dont make them bad, just get them help.

2. petenali profile image81
    petenaliposted 12 years ago

You may not like the answer to this one, but the reason for the long pinky nail is to assist with nose picking.  It's true.  The long nail is used to more effectively remove unwanted boogers.  It's the pinky nail because it is the easiest to fit up the nostril...

3. CodeMaster profile image77
    CodeMasterposted 12 years ago

I would have to disagree petenali. Although your answer has a possibility are being true the more likely answer is even less pleasant. The reason for the long pinky nail is usually to help inhale cocaine. If you see an individual with a single long pinky nail and who sniffles a lot. Best steer clear.

4. Finesse profile image60
    Finesseposted 12 years ago

Yes I would have to agree with CodeMaster men with the long pinky nail are users or they want certain people to think that they are users of cocaine BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR CUT STRAWS as well if he is a user then he is a lier stay away

5. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 12 years ago

I have short finger nails on my left hand and long ones on my right hand, bafore I suffered a stroke I used to play the guitar.  I now follow the growth pattern in the hopes of being able to play again.

6. Tomwit58 profile image54
    Tomwit58posted 12 years ago

Some men (and women) use that long pinky nail as a "coke spoon". Some men have long nails because they know women with long nails are the best back scratchers and they would like to return the favorite for their significant other.

7. Efficient Admin profile image86
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

I was in a store the other day and the guy at the cash register who waited on me had this really long fingernail on his right index finger, but all the others were short.  What does that mean if the right hand index fingernail is really long (sorry--maybe I should make my own question)?

8. SportsBetter profile image62
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

Could be laziness or maybe they are turning into a girl.

I have heard of people having long nails on thumb and pinky to rip out someones throat. 

Or if they just have a long nail on their pinky it could be for doing cocaine.

9. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

That's gross. I always cut my fingernails. Don't want to cut anyone.

10. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

The long pinky nail is usually for a coke user - stay away!

All long nails just means he is gross.  If he can't take care of his personal hygiene, imagine how dirty he is in other areas of his life.  Again, stay away!

1. alldatmatterz profile image59
      alldatmatterzposted 6 years agoin reply to this
    2. Umar Jalvi profile image61
      Umar Jalviposted 4 years agoin reply to this

if you want long nails you must try fake long nails for party. buy now: https://amzn.to/2BapfJ4

https://hubstatic.com/14717048.jpg

11. Mahmo profile image60
    Mahmoposted 11 years ago

In cultures of some countries this is a sign that the said man is week, hesitant , self-centered and lacks the confidence in himself.

12. StandingJaguar profile image68
    StandingJaguarposted 11 years ago

I knew a couple banjo players who kept their right thumb with a long fingernail, as that facilitates banjo playing. None of the other fingernails were kept long, though. In college there was a classmate who had long finger nails, I think the pinky one especially. He was a total creep and I would not be surprised if he was a user!

13. Johnny2Balls profile image60
    Johnny2Ballsposted 11 years ago

It's what we use for communicating with the aliens.

1. Sophia-LeAnne profile image61
      Sophia-LeAnneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah ha haaaaaaaaa!!! Hilarious

2. viveresperando profile image63
      viveresperandoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

14. Preethi Anusha profile image67
    Preethi Anushaposted 11 years ago

I wonder the same . It doesn't go with men ... gross

15. Archit Goyal profile image61
    Archit Goyalposted 11 years ago

A very good question. You may often can see the man with long nail.
    people thinks that having a big nail looks cool and attract females, even though girls think that a man with long nail is trendy and crazy about his life.

In my view, to show a physical attraction men tends to grew their fingernails.

Cheers!

16. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

When I was a kid, I used to bite my nails a lot all the way to the end. My mother would get so angry that she started putting clear polish on them while i slept to stop me from biting them.. then they grew  out of control so she taught me how to keep them clean and manicured.. I keep them trimmed now because I am married but my hands look better (to me) with some nails on them

1. tabreya profile image53
      tabreyaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

thats awesome you like your nails

17. rainingvoice profile image61
    rainingvoiceposted 11 years ago

Men have many reasons to grow nails. Depending on there job, character, like and hobby .
    For some nail 'll help in there job, like playing guitar. Some of the guitar player use fingers to play guitar, if there is nail in left hand it 'll be useful to pluck the string to make a wonderful voice from it. For men have no particular job they will keep the nail in hand which is not a big disturbance. Example:writers, painters etc...
    For some they are not keeping good care on them, they are careless, and may be non loveable.
    For some men, they have a feminine character which makes them to grow nail. That's because of there character and there Like.
    You may have hobby to read, write, and collecting some thing, like this for some men growing nail is also a hobby. Some 'll grow short nail in all finger or single long nail in thump or little finger.
    Some men believing in anti-Christ also have this habit.
    After all this from my view, pink is the most attractive colour for girls, may be for this men select pink for attracting girls. Most girls like nail and pink..

1. rainingvoice profile image61
      rainingvoiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this was useful for you right,

2. profile image0
      roobposted 7 years agoin reply to this

lol why would ppl who believe in anti christ have long nails lol

18. mydubstepstudio profile image61
    mydubstepstudioposted 11 years ago

Because not all men (or human beings) are the same, and if there is a possibility to be or do something weird just so that people like you will wonder "why is he doing that" then they will do it.

It really is as simple as that!

19. profile image52
    shona-09posted 10 years ago

they think it is a style just like tattoos.You know people of these days.

20. tabreya profile image53
    tabreyaposted 10 years ago

i think men should have finger nails because if nasty when you have a boyfriend and all they do is bite their nails off. that is such a turn off
    ewww. I know boys who love their nails and keep them clean

21. Gypsy Scribe profile image91
    Gypsy Scribeposted 10 years ago

I've seen men with long nails, too, and I've never understood it, either. For a guy it just doesn't seem practical. But I have long hair, so who am I to judge?

22. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 9 years ago

Some people keep their fingernails long and some only keep a long nail in one of the fingers only.

Keeping long nails is not looked upon as being sanitary and if they are equally long on both hands, then it is most sticky and gross. What do we believe about why do some humans have long fingernails?. We can guess either the person is too lazy or unhygienic to clip them off or they have some very concrete reasons to keep their nails long. Keeping fingernails on one hand is preferably safe who plays guitar, or they do most of their playing by finger picking. Playing guitar makes it easier and giving them more control by using a pick of guitar through their long nails.

In the old days in China, long fingernails were recognized a sign of a rich man who didn’t perform any manual task. Some people use their long nails for general scratching and ear cleansing. This looks to be very inferior so far as etiquette and personality is concerned. Those doing work relating to gathering up small things from a flat surface also use their long nails for picking it. Sharpened and hardened nails are a dangerous weapon that can be signs of prison time.

It can be applied as an organic coke spoon for more or less people. Turkish men commonly use their long nails for mixing paints and also for opening cigarette wrappers.

23. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

yes, my man has long fin gers nails, he said to use them to dig his nostrils and other stuff

24. Necessity profile image60
    Necessityposted 9 years ago

The only man I knew with a long pinky nail kept that particular nail long for his drug habit.

25. Joel Diffendarfer profile image87
    Joel Diffendarferposted 9 years ago

Yes, a lot of interesting responses...I was doing a bit of research because I recently have noticed that my nails were growing faster than they were "before".  At first, I evaluated my diet...I thought perhaps, something changed.  That led me to researching the "claims" of how-to-make your nails grow faster...that was a real eye opener...so many "rip-offs".  In the end, what I discovered, except for the rarity,  was that male or female, fingernails grow at the same rate regardless of diet.  My fingernails seemed to grow faster not because of diet or chemical imbalances, but because I had changed jobs.  I went from a very physical hands-on construction job to a less agressive form of employment.  My hands-on job had a tendancy to wear down my nails naturally.  Bottom line, the length of fingernails is a matter of choice, work enviorment, and...grooming.

26. profile image0
    MrDanielAbramposted 9 years ago

Sometimes it is laziness. Men are simply being lazy.

27. Besarien profile image73
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

The only men I have known who keep long nails are serious guitar players who use their nails instead of picks. I suppose some might grow long nails just to be different. So long as he takes care to clean and smooth them, long nails on a man wouldn't bother me.

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes this is correct it is the way Classical Guitarists play, you will notice in this case that the nails on the other hand are cut short. These men will keep their nails immaculately clean and you may even catch them using a nail buffer too.

28. Nicole Grizzle profile image77
    Nicole Grizzleposted 9 years ago

I've heard that a long pinky fingernail means that they use coke. Never confirmed that myself, nor do I plan on it.

Generally, long fingernails (that are unkempt) are just a sign of bad hygiene. So, they don't really take very good care of themselves, and just forget to do basic hygiene. I'd stay pretty far away.

29. Jojo Yousef profile image71
    Jojo Yousefposted 9 years ago

Good question. But really I have no idea,

30. monia saad profile image60
    monia saadposted 9 years ago

I also see a lot of men do so .. But the strange thing is that when some of them question why he said that thing draws attention to him. But there are others who said they feel more psychological comfort to the presence of their nails long and special Pinky and I saw at a restaurant a man to clean his teeth through them after eating food.

31. Summer2015 profile image54
    Summer2015posted 8 years ago

Because they are lazy, of course it depends on what finger nails. Some as said in another any use for picking banjos and some keep their pinky nail to use for snorting certain things.

32. Kimberleyclarke profile image83
    Kimberleyclarkeposted 8 years ago

I work with someone who has a learning disability. He doesn't allow anyone to cut his fingernails. So, his fingernails stay long until they break off. The people saying 'urgh, gross', well. We all do gross things, I'm sure. Some of us are simply better at hiding them.

33. profile image52
    bchand1984posted 8 years ago

men keep have the long fingernails becuase they like it. And they feel happy. Now a days this fond has been dissolve because they are educated and they know it is harmful habits

34. Lavelle Classics profile image56
    Lavelle Classicsposted 8 years ago

In Asian men it is seen as a sign of wealth, class and lack of labour-intensive job. Sometimes in practice, it’s used for general orifice exploration!

35. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

Long pinky nails are generally used as a cocaine scoop so they can snort it more easily. At least that's the traditional use.

1. Sandi Kroeger profile image71
      Sandi Kroegerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree and I have been told this by a couple of people are very familiar with that particular drug habit.

36. Parhesh Kumar profile image66
    Parhesh Kumarposted 8 years ago

It might be that the person is a musician. A classical guitarist or banjo player will keep long fingernails and use them to pluck the strings. This is faster and produces a more powerful sound that simply using the tip of your fingers.

37. clivewilliams profile image71
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

Men with tall fingernails are more likely to be addicted or gay

1. profile image53
      Erica Combs43posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is also true.

38. johnceccon profile image61
    johncecconposted 8 years ago

Every guitar player knows that the long pinky nail is so you can nail that bottom E string. You might be confused to see my hands. I have long nails on my right hand and short nails on my left hand.

39. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

This is like saying why does a rabbit have it's powder puff on the wrong end? and the answer is, because it grew there. 
    Joking aside some men are just to busy to cut them and some men are to lazy and some men like them to look feminine, but are not feminine at all.  Then there are the gay men who like to look feminine, I would guess these are the pinky nail ones.

40. profile image52
    emirhan1907posted 8 years ago

I do not know a thing about why a male human would grow especially his pinky nail. But i want to touch this understanding of how it is gross to have long nails. I am male, 18 years old, and i do not have the standards people around me have. Long nails≠dirty. I keep my nails moderately long, as maybe many women do nowadays, and i keep them clean, and they naturally look nice too. We are not this supernatural no dirt beings, cmon, we are humans, we used to sleep on dirt.. It is quite normal to have a little longitude of excess finger nails. Make your own standards and beliefs people, dont live with the ones your society/family injects into you.

41. Pratyush Pandey13 profile image60
    Pratyush Pandey13posted 8 years ago

Because they can, its there choice and it may come handy when its itching...

42. profile image0
    roobposted 8 years ago

Yes people snort dope off long pinky nails... a little coke or heron or tweak... dip long pinky nail in baggy then put finger up nostril & snort. That or they want to look like a coo dopehead lol.

43. profile image52
    aahmed1988posted 8 years ago

I have long pinky nails that is not because its a spoon for coke i never done coke ever. But for me i use it in case my head itches and i have spikey hair and dont wana ruine my spikes

44. sharma mukesh profile image48
    sharma mukeshposted 8 years ago

I'm a young male, and the reason I have long fingernails on my right hand is to play fingerpicking guitar.

45. Billhaley profile image59
    Billhaleyposted 7 years ago

A friend of mine grows them for fighting in martial arts.
    He comes in raking the eyes.

46. roselinsojan profile image60
    roselinsojanposted 7 years ago

Some men wear long finger nails,may be it is their hobby,or careless about themselves.

47. Happylovejoy profile image93
    Happylovejoyposted 7 years ago

I see that quite often enough..what I understand is that long pinky nails is for good luck..

1. profile image0
      roobposted 7 years agoin reply to this

hahaha, no it is for cocaine use lol.

48. profile image48
    Md Eunus Aliposted 7 years ago

They love it and also it is there choice

49. Kiki Estime profile image41
    Kiki Estimeposted 7 years ago

that means they taking care of themselves.

50. Swastik Swastik profile image54
    Swastik Swastikposted 7 years ago

I guess its just a sense of fashion. If they like it to go with that then we should let them do because everyone has got a right to wear as they like its just a point that no one get harm with a person way of living. So let them be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)