jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can yoga aid weight loss?

1. Purple Perl profile image59
    Purple Perlposted 6 years ago

Can yoga aid weight loss?

2. Harpersays profile image68
    Harpersaysposted 6 years ago

Yes, strength and flexibility have a direct impact on metabolism, not to mention on the amount of oxygen in your blood stream which leads to increased energy!

3. pinto2011 profile image78
    pinto2011posted 6 years ago

Ya surely and certainly. There should not be any kind of suspicion in our mind. It is great for our body and soul both, as not only it cleanses our body from excess fat but cleanses our soul and make us more calm, composed, cool, vibrant and at peace.

4. profile image0
    Dr Shehaposted 6 years ago

I think that the aim of Yoga is to achieve relaxation. Some people eat when they are anxious. In this case, I think Yoga can help, but indirectly. But, I don't think there is any relation between Yoga and weight loss.
    Ms. Harpersays  said that Yoga increases oxygen in the blood. And, I agree with that  but I don't think more oxygen means more fat consumed and hence losing weight.
    Indeed, more oxygen equals more energy as a result of efficient metabolism_known as aerobic metabolism which provides folds of energy compared to Anaerobic metabolism with the same amount of food.
    So, simply I want to say that I don't know any relation between yoga and weight loss.

5. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 6 years ago

Yes.  It does not burn a lot of calories but it can indirectly help you lose weight.  Since yoga can reduce stress it can reduce junk food cravings and provide you with more energy.  If you build some muscle the muscle will cause you to burn more calories throughout the day.  It does require strength.

working