jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Anyone ever taken anti-malaria pills?

1. Global-Chica profile image95
    Global-Chicaposted 6 years ago

Anyone ever taken anti-malaria pills?

Anyone ever taken anti-malaria pills? I'm taking mephaquin for the 2nd week and feeling extra loopy with a constant headache on the side! I'm currently in Luanda, Angola and was advised to take the medication for the duration of my trip.

2. donnaisabella profile image79
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

Yes I have. Do you have to take them that often? When I was younger in Zambia, we used to take about four tablets of Chloroquin as a prophylaxis once in a long time. That helped a lot. Chloroquin was both used to cure and prevent malaria. As a prophylaxis, it did not give me any problems but as a medication to treat malaria, the side effects were horrifying, there was a time I thought it was better to die than suffer those side effects (general body itching of a severe kind, light headedness and a horrible taste in the mouth), but it was a powerful drug. I do not think they use it anymore, or may be they do. But I have never heard of anyone taking so many drugs and on a daily basis to keep them from having malaria. I am a bit surprised. You may want to see some doctors within Luanda, they have a lot of knowledge and you will find that they have better medications because they treat those diseases and deal with tropical conditions all the time. I wish you all the best and I hope you feel better.

3. littlepiston profile image59
    littlepistonposted 6 years ago

I haven't but I hear they can give you really bad dreams and everyone reacts differently. Good luck

4. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

I "resided" in Vietnam for two years (1967-1969) where I was supposed to take one malaria tablet a day.

However, because I really did hate the side effects, I rarely took them -- and quite fortunately, I never contracted malaria, even though I got attacked by mosquitos 24/7.